Community discussions

MikroTik App

emreakkaya
just joined
Topic Author

Using MikroTik AP with a different brand of router?

Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:39 pm

Hi Guys, I am new to here and I have no experience with MikroTik devices at all. We are a company with 12 branches and I want to create a Hotspot environment for our customers. In our branches we are using Draytek Routers and I doubt if Mikrotik sxt lite5 device works with Draytek Router? Also can I use Mikrotik sxt lite5 as an Hotspot and can I easily collect clients informations (Name, e-mail etc.) for marketing purposes?

Thanks in advance!

Emre

emreakkaya
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Using MikroTik AP with a different brand of router?

Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:23 pm

UP!

ebreyit
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:01 pm

Hi,
Try to describe in more detail the sort of setup/configuration you imagine.

Mikrotik gear in most cases works fine with other vendors depending on what your trying to achieve.

The 'lite' AP's only have a level 3 license, so unless you upgrade them to level 4 they can only be used as PtP bridges or stations, they cannot be used as a full AP plus hotspot is limited to 1 user

https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:L ... nse_Levels

Something like the WAP ac (https://mikrotik.com/product/RBwAPG-5HacT2HnD-BE) might be a better fit for a small standalone Hotspot AP.

As for capturing various user details, it's possible but would require additional equipment and setup outside the Mikrotik.

matiaszon

Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:34 pm

Hi Guys, I am new to here and I have no experience with MikroTik devices at all. We are a company with 12 branches and I want to create a Hotspot environment for our customers. In our branches we are using Draytek Routers and I doubt if Mikrotik sxt lite5 device works with Draytek Router? Also can I use Mikrotik sxt lite5 as an Hotspot and can I easily collect clients informations (Name, e-mail etc.) for marketing purposes?

Thanks in advance!

Emre
Of course MikroTik will work with other vendors. The only questions are - what would you like to achieve and how do you want to manage that after all? Besides, I don't think SXT is the best option for Hotspot usage. It works fine when building a wireless bridge.
By the way, MikroTik has a great feature called CAPsMAN. It gives you an option to manage all your APs/HotSpots from one device. You can buy as many as you require APs (for example wAP and/or cAP) and 1 device with Level 4 license that will be cinfigured as CAP Manager. I don't know how many APs/HotSpots you want to install, and this is crucial when choosing a device that will be able to handle your configuration.