Community discussions

MikroTik App

boatguy
just joined
Topic Author

Metal 52 AC connecting to hAP AC

Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:57 pm

Im confusing myself and could use some help. I have a Metal52AC connected to my network across the street. Connection is good through to internet because I can use the ping tool to ping 8.8.8.8. I have the Metal set in router mode.

What I am trying to do is plug that Metal52 ethernet line into port 1 (internet port) on my hAP AC and use it to provide internet to the clients connected to it. The hAP is in AP mode.

Should be easy but it doesn't seem to be working. Thanks to anyone who can help.

w32pamela
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Metal 52 AC connecting to hAP AC

Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:56 pm

Your Metal 52ac is a AP/router by default. If you simply use the Quick Set page to change operating mode from AP to CPE you will not change all the necessary settings that are internal to the Metal.

To set your Metal up as a CPE it is best to reset your configuration selecting the "No Default Configuration" and then set your CPE up from a blank device. You can take what you have now and try to make the modifications necessary to complete the CPE setup but that can be harder than starting from scratch.

Before you do a reset you should do open the terminal do /Export file=defcon . This will create a copy of the current configuration that will contain things like your firewall settings that you will want to put back in the Metal when you are done with the CPE configuration.

After a reset you will need to make the following settings at minimum:
1. Go to Wireless and make sure the wireless mode is "station" . Choose the band and channel width you want to use and set the frequency to auto.
2. Go to IP->Addresses and set the IP you want to use on "ether1".
3. Go to IP->DHCP Client and set "wlan1" as DHCP Client.
4. Go to IP->DHCP Sever and setup a DHCP Server on "ether1"
5. Go to IP->Firewall NAT and set up a NAT Masquerade on "ether1". In Firewall Rules add the default firewall settings.
6. In IP->DNS create a static DNS that is the same as your Gateway IP.
7. reboot the metal and connect to your local AP and you should be online if everything was done correctly.

You may find more detailed information on setting up your CPE online.

boatguy
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Metal 52 AC connecting to hAP AC

Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:20 am

Thanks for your help. As it turns out my Metal has a default config for CPE. SO as I went through your steps I was able to validate what I had done. It was almost near the end that I realized I was trying to do everything on the same ip schema. I have it working 100% now. Thanks for your help.