Community discussions

MikroTik App

steen
Topic Author

Is the new dude production stable now ?

Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:28 pm

Hi Folks!

The old dude has been working since 2007 at our place, monitoring about everything, very satisfied.
The new dude looks promising. But how is status on it now ?

I have a humble question, some time ago (in March/April 2017) we tested the new dude in an CHR kvm instance, 20GB DISK, 4 CPU:s and 4GB RAM(we tried different settings with more or less resources).

I have to add it was on X86_64 and not on any appliances, so nobody misunderstands.

We started to setup the current monitoring on new, some 20 network maps with 30-40 devices on each map.
Devices is a mix of router board devices and Linux/Windows/AIX/Cisco and HP devices plus servers.

After some work, we experienced it not be stable, it crashed at random both during working with setting up new devices in it and make links, and it also crashed during normal operation. Frankly we did never manage to setup more than half the first network map, then we had to give it up due to it crashed/breached all the time regardless how much resources we added to the chr instance.

What is the experience with the new dude nowadays ?
Last edited by steen on Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ste
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Is the new dude production stable now ?

Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:56 am

Runs stable and fast on 1100ahx4 dude for us.

yonnie
just joined

Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:22 pm

Is not stable for us. Running on 750gr3. Causes all routers monitored to pause, while cpus get real busy. This has been reported by other users elsewhere in this forum. Our solution after spending a lot of money on tech-support trying to fix this was to unplug-it. 4beta3 worked great, newer versions have the problem. We moved past using 4b3 and are removing the Mikrotik routers too.

ste
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:08 pm

Is not stable for us. Running on 750gr3. Causes all routers monitored to pause, while cpus get real busy. This has been reported by other users elsewhere in this forum. Our solution after spending a lot of money on tech-support trying to fix this was to unplug-it. 4beta3 worked great, newer versions have the problem. We moved past using 4b3 and are removing the Mikrotik routers too.
750gr3 is too slow. We had problems which vanished after moving to 1100ahx4 dude edition.

eriitguy
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:43 am

Hello, steen!

We started to use Dude v6 and generally it is very stable. Some issues exists, but some of them are not critical.

ESXi 6.x on SAN.
ROS 6.39.1 for CHR, uptime 175d.
We have for about 10 maps with 250+ devices. Ping, SNMP and TCP probes.

1. Is Dude 6 ready for prime time?
2. Optimal hardware for dude chart performance
3. The Dude v6 server - CCR vs CHR as a platform.
4. CHR on ESXi - VM got stopped

Thank you!

sri2007
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:16 pm

Hello!!! I've used Dude v6 with about 40 maps and 200 devices (routers, switches, access points, DVR, servers) and it works great, it's configured with SNMP, RouterOS, PING and DNS probes.

Yes it has some isues (most are easy and you can find solutions in the forum) but in general The Dude is working great, it's a CHR with P1 licence over a Proxmox Virtual Envinronment, ROS: 6.40.1.

theWISP
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:18 pm

Very Very Unstable! As such an integral part of our success, I am so disappointed in Mikrotiks haphazard development process. I am SO disgusted, I am beyond trying to offer a detailed and constructive review.

IT'S GARBAGE. PERIOD.

We were working with Mikrotik to find a bug where CHR dude hosted by AWS loses all ability to contact all devices, however, the CHR itself can contact all devices without error (800 routerOS devices in 30 different submaps). Their response was, "your DUDE is pinging with 56Bytes, and your routerOS test is being done with 50Bytes. Make them the same, it will probably work". <-----WHAT IN THE WORLD! They give us busy work for troubleshooting. Then the email is ended with this:

"Keep in mind that theDUDE is no longer being developed"

AGAIN!!!!! I can't do this, not with my company and the customers that rely on me. We already deal with shotty upgrade paths within routerOS. And now that x86 versions of dude are permanently dead, we are up a creek with no paddle.

Either have a proper software product, paid, free, licensed, whatever, that WORKS, or don't bother.Who cares if its free if it's not usable.

15 Years of using theDUDE, and this is how it ends. This guy is PISSED.

*Rant Over*

steen
Topic Author

Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:22 am

Hello Folks!

The old dude has been running since 2007/2008 on Microsoft Server 2008 sp2 (started with sp1 I think or lower).
There are some 20 maps and around 200 devices, a mixture of mikrotik devices, cisco firewalls and switches, linux servers and windows server and so on.
It has been very stable for all years. Sometimes vacuum the databas is needed, maybe once every third year or so.

Only problem we had with old dude is SNMP, it can overload and kill router board devices, especially all newer versions of the hardware like sextant and so on. Ordet rb800, rb411 and those in that era works perfectly with snmp but not the new ones. And snmp traps we do no use due to various reasons.

The new dude has been tested as CHR in an KVM environment. It was not stable and lacked features we needed so we had to step back again.
We uses the web interface at several places, yes I know it is possible also in the new version but it lacks features from the old version.

Currently we have a parallel run using CHR dude, mostly to awaiting the missed features from old dude being added back, after they have been added we can drop the old dude.