MikroTik App

nicutdk
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

New router OS

Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:10 pm

Hello,

Now we are in the 2018 year. We have for a couple years "RouterOS v6 RC and v7 BETA" topic.

Mikrotik can you tell us or can you think this year in this TOPIC we will see a V7 ?

Best Regards,

didis81
just joined

Re: New router OS

Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:35 am

Please something new

ErfanDL

Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:38 pm

I approve mikrotik releasing v7 in this year

Sent from my C6833 using Tapatalk

skoenman

Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:44 am

April fools is coming around again...they havent even confirmed that they working on v7 as far as i can see... but hopefully one of these days... Edgemax is taking over in some cases...but i find that mikrotik is easier to configure ...

Steveocee
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:46 am

Which feature are you waiting for in v7?

MikroTik are constantly updating what we have now, we get a new release every couple of weeks with features added and fixed.

Really good stuff that is "pegged" for v7 usually gets ported backwards into v6 anyway.

The number is cosmetic.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:22 pm

Steve is right. There is barely anything left in v7 that we haven't backported.

bergonz
just joined

Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:04 pm

Which feature are you waiting for in v7?

The one I miss is "completely isolated VRFs":

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=70274#p490199

This includes the tricks that must be done in order to make DHCP relay work in VRFs.

I miss this because I use a lot of MPLS L3VPN. I understand that maintaining backward compatibility is far from trivial.

In fact I also understand that this is quite difficult stuff, and the general VRF situation in Linux is far from satisfactory (ip rule / ip netns / ip vrf). The Mikrotik MPLS L3VPN implementation is, with its limitations, AFAIK the only one present.

patrick7

Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:12 pm

@normis so the way mikrotik goes is to not release v7 but backport all changes to v6?

As an example, we need recursive gateway lookup for BGP/OSPF.
Or delete communities, Multicore,...

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:19 pm

Some of the requested features haven't been made, so there is no difference if you are waiting for them in v6, v7 or whatever version.
Let's just say you are waiting for a specific feature, not a version. The v7 doesn't automagically come with all the missing features.

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:20 pm

Multicore is here (not for BGP, but it will never be here, v7 just optimizes the process and speeds up significantly on single core), but adding subnets from BGP announcements to Firewall Address-list (with Routing Filters) is a desirable feature...

pietroscherer
Trainer
Trainer

Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:04 pm

Some people wait for v7 only, and not for the features, or more specifically for new routing engine.
Sometimes I think that if new routing engine will be implemented in v6, somebody will stills waiting for v7 because of the version number.

patrick7

Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:08 pm

I think the routing engine will never be implemented.
They have presented some news YEARS ago (I think it was 2013), and nothing happened since then (but the DFZ has growed a lot).

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:09 pm

Some of the requested features haven't been made, so there is no difference if you are waiting for them in v6, v7 or whatever version.
Let's just say you are waiting for a specific feature, not a version. The v7 doesn't automagically come with all the missing features.
Sometimes requests for new features are turned down because they would require a new kernel, and v7 would include the new kernel.
E.g. more complete support for IPv6, including policy routing and NAT (netmap).
(I don't think it is true that it requires a new kernel, but probably MikroTik have made patches in the kernel used in v6 to add some
extra features for that functionality in IPv4 and those patches have not been done for IPv6)

Similar for the most-often-requested-feature-of-all: full support of OpenVPN.

hugues
just joined

Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:48 pm

BGP4-MIB support on SNMP would be great too...

Poundbury
just joined

Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:27 pm

Any chance of backporting the improved BGP performance?

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:44 pm

BGP4-MIB support on SNMP would be great too...
I agree!

mhugo
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:02 pm

My wish for V7 is basically better BGP performance since my routers are maxing the core it runs on all the time.

Besides that I need to be able to set circuit id in DHCP request would be great with possibility of running a script when assigned/deassigned to configure central interface with the leased ip as the broadcast since we use /32 (or implement in helper)

Besides that GPON OLT support would greatly help me.

/M

nz_monkey
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:34 pm

Normis is right. A huge number of the "v7" features have been added to RouterOS v6. Mikrotik have done an outstanding job of backporting features.

The missing features and unresolved bugs are mostly related to the "new routing" engine that has been long promised, or rely on a newer Linux Kernel.

"new routing" has been talked about since at least 2012, we originally purchased CCR's in 2013 knowing the limitations in the current routing stack, but thinking "new routing" was just around the corner and that it would fix the known issues. Fast forward to 2018 and all of the problems we were having with RouterOS routing in 2013 still exist, and there is no sign of "new routing". The last teaser info from Mikrotik was seen in March 2016, but since then, absolutely nothing.

RouterOS v6 is amazing for SOHO/Basic Enterprise routing, and for small scale Internet-Only ISP's that are only running IPv4. Its when your ISP grows and you start to need Reliable/Complex route filters, Process large numbers of prefixes via BGP, Stable MPLS VPN's, IPv6 and true VRF's that RouterOS v6 starts to show its weaknesses.

Hopefully Mikrotik's plans for v7/new routing are part of the Roadmap that Mikrotik will present at the EU MUM.

RogerWilco

Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:59 am

One of the main things for me - and I'm sure I'm not the only one - is the total lack of support for the newer Sierra Wireless MC74xx models. I've got emails dating back 3 years from MikroTik telling me "v7 will support it".

nz_monkey
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:39 am

One of the main things for me - and I'm sure I'm not the only one - is the total lack of support for the newer Sierra Wireless MC74xx models. I've got emails dating back 3 years from MikroTik telling me "v7 will support it".
Mikrotik trying to support all the 3rd Party LTE modules will be a never ending game of cat and mouse.

I think Mikrotik should focus on building up their own portfolio of LTE products, this way customers will be able to buy a product they know will work reliably and be supported by Mikrotik. It also means that Mikrotik can add features like LTE Pass-Through, and update the LTE module's firmware from within RouterOS. It will result in a much better user experience for all of us.

patrick7

Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:13 pm

Normis is right. A huge number of the "v7" features have been added to RouterOS v6. Mikrotik have done an outstanding job of backporting features.

The missing features and unresolved bugs are mostly related to the "new routing" engine that has been long promised, or rely on a newer Linux Kernel.
+1, BUT: the routing engine is the most important part on a router.
Unfortunately, it seems mikrotik thinks kid-control is more important than routing.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:02 pm

Unfortunately, it seems mikrotik thinks kid-control is more important than routing.
And that IPv6 is so unimportant that it does not even need kid-control!

Cha0s
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:38 pm

+1 patric7 & pe1chl

After 3+ years of waiting for the new routing engine, I am very skeptical of using CCRs and RouterOS for any other big project that comes to my way...
As perfect as RouterOS in terms of usability (which tbh is the only reason I keep sticking to ROS), it's really limiting when used in an enterprise context.

The industry is moving forward at a lightning speed when it comes to networking. It's no longer a static thing as it used to be 15 years ago.
MikroTik needs to decide what their target group is and focus solely on it.

Is it Wireless/WISP?
Is it Datacenter/Enterprise?
Is it SOHO/SMB?

Because all three categories suffer from their lack of focus right now...

patrick7

Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:46 pm

Is it Wireless/WISP?
Is it Datacenter/Enterprise?
Is it SOHO/SMB?
It's a bit of everything, but nothing right.

doneware
Trainer
Trainer

Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:28 am

hmmm, let me just pick some randomly...

VRF aware RADIUS
6PE
6VPE
vxLAN
v6 aware SSTP
v6 aware L2TP(v3)
v6 aware "ip cloud"
fasttrack for ipv6

tbh i received way too much replies from support for my reported bugs to be fixed only in v7

changeip
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:58 am

how about a 2500$ cloud core than can queue more than the $350 version? HTB is limited to single CPU / interface and that just kills it for us.

RogerWilco

Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:19 am

Mikrotik trying to support all the 3rd Party LTE modules will be a never ending game of cat and mouse.

I think Mikrotik should focus on building up their own portfolio of LTE products, this way customers will be able to buy a product they know will work reliably and be supported by Mikrotik. It also means that Mikrotik can add features like LTE Pass-Through, and update the LTE module's firmware from within RouterOS. It will result in a much better user experience for all of us.
MikroTik making their own LTE cards will have the same issue supporting all countries and bands. SW already do a great job of this - why not just support ONE of the major brands (SW)?

doush
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:25 am

v7 should come with dedicated packet forwarding chips and ASIC/FPGA hardware for offloading the services such as Queues,firewall etc in the new products.

For ex, most basic Cisco ASR hardware handles 24 000 PPPoE Sessions in a single box compared to a CCR1036 which is aprx 2000 sessions.

There are limits which can be done in software and I think RouterOS pretty much done it all. It is time to focus on dedicared hardware.

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:02 am

how about a 2500$ cloud core than can queue more than the $350 version? HTB is limited to single CPU / interface and that just kills it for us.
Is it about parent=global or Simple Queues?

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:55 am

v7 should come with dedicated packet forwarding chips and ASIC/FPGA hardware for offloading the services such as Queues,firewall etc in the new products.

For ex, most basic Cisco ASR hardware handles 24 000 PPPoE Sessions in a single box compared to a CCR1036 which is aprx 2000 sessions.

There are limits which can be done in software and I think RouterOS pretty much done it all. It is time to focus on dedicared hardware.
That is just an entirely different market. When you require that, you know where to go and what you are going to spend.
RouterOS could do more to actually exploit the performance of a 36-core CPU, but that's it.

skoenman

Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:19 pm

The big feature im looking for is deep packet inspection... one these days need it because layer 7 doesnt work any longer...

jrpaz
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:30 pm

I just want compatibility with Intel XL710.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:37 pm

Its clear that improvements and changes to the OS or hardware designs costs mucho money - it dont grow on trees.
Since Normis still lives in a car, that speaks volumes about how empty the coffers are at Mikrotik.
(Heck, it almost looks like a red LADA so Mikrotik must be housed in a shack in the backwaters of Latvia, not in the office towers of Dubai)

So cut them some slack. :-)

Steveocee
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:34 pm

Pretty DPI graphs and throughout graphs like the Ubiquiti USG stuff?

Gives us something to stare at when things aren’t broken.

mhviper

Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:18 pm

hasn't support for TILE been dropped in recent Linux Kernel versions?
Will Mikrotik still stay with TILE or will you change architecture in future releases?

null31
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:05 pm

hasn't support for TILE been dropped in recent Linux Kernel versions?
Apparently yes.
>[...] I ended up removing the mn10300, tile, blackfin and cris architectures directly, rather than waiting, after consulting with the respective maintainers.
Source: https://lkml.org/lkml/2018/3/14/505
Edit: If they remove the support starting on this week, so the Linux version is 4.15.11 (stable and current). If v7 uses a Linux below than 4.15, I guess that will not have some effect on ROS development.

A post that talk about Tile-gx and MikroTik's CCR: https://lkml.org/lkml/2018/3/14/514
>There are also still products for sale with Tile-GX SoCs, notably the Mikrotik CCR router family. The products all use old (linux-3.3) kernels with lots of patches and won't be upgraded by their manufacturers. [...]

JimmyNyholm
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:24 pm

Isolated VRF's
VRF aware Services All of them and Multiple of them (ie allow ssh source this in vrf x and source that in vrf p only listening on ip's local to that respective vrfs)
Tunnel Interface: Inner VRF and Outer VRF Settings for Layer3 settings even set L2 Bridge for inner packet and Outer VRF for encapsulated egress traffic.

Promised Performance boost on BGP (2miljion+ V4 routes, V6 will be a bigger beast and so we do need this)
BGP peer setting update fib or not, Enable True Reflector with all learnt routes and not just installed active ones.

UPRF support in VRF's (Now ip setting strict fail if not found in main)
UPRF support in VRF's IPV6 (now we don't even have v6)

Thats my fast missing features in 6 for now.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:49 pm

RouterOS does not use any TILE code from the Linux kernel. This news has no effect on RouterOS.

AlexS
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:14 am

RouterOS does not use any TILE code from the Linux kernel. This news has no effect on RouterOS.
So now that tile is removed from the linux kernel, where does that leave the CCR.

Also V7. I was / have been waiting 4+ years for better single stream tcp performance on these 10G routers. I can still (well of last testing) get 1G max for a single tcp stream. What I as advised was its coming in V7. Note sure if its been pushed back into V6.

And if this is true that V7 has been backported into v6 . not good marketing from MK..
A

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:08 pm

So now that tile is removed from the linux kernel, where does that leave the CCR.
Read the above: at the same place where it always has been.
However, it is disturbing news for RouterOS v7. Apparently the people at MikroTik do a lot of development on the Linux kernel that
is independent from the mainstream. That may sometimes seem attractive because you can quickly introduce new functionality
without wasting time on having to discuss it, however it also makes it much more difficult to upgrade to new developments
done by others.

That is what we are seeing now: improvements that may seem trivial (like fixing OpenVPN, improving IPv6, etc) by just upgrading
the relevant packages to the current state of the art in the Open Source world, are difficult for MikroTik because they have to look
again at all the work they have done over the years. Re-do the patches, maybe migrate to something that has been done in
another way by the Linux developers, etc.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:17 pm

You too, should read my answer again. We did not use any Kernel code or open source community code for TILE support in RouterOS. This news does not affect MikroTik or RouterOS v7 in any way.

mafiosa
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:40 pm

Please enable openvpn udp support and also ability to manually enter ip for ovpn tunnel in pop profile that can be used for bgp next hop resolution.These two bugs are stopping me from using mikrotik for my DN42 network.

schadom
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:18 pm

Please enable openvpn udp support and also ability to manually enter ip for ovpn tunnel in pop profile that can be used for bgp next hop resolution.These two bugs are stopping me from using mikrotik for my DN42 network.

+ SHA256/SHA512 authentication (--auth)
+ ability to enforce the TLS version eg. TLSv1.2 (--tls-version-min)

virtualdxs
just joined

Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:08 pm

@normis When are we getting UDP for OpenVPN? It was promised for v7: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=77898&start=150#p527829

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:12 pm

@normis When are we getting UDP for OpenVPN? It was promised for v7: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=77898&start=150#p527829
viewtopic.php?p=617477#p617477

radenli
just joined

Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:31 am

how about mu-mimo in V7 since we have hap ac2 and cap ac now

chubbs596
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:54 pm

Hi Normis
What about bgp RPKI ? and all other bgp improvments? the list is long

idst
just joined

Sun May 02, 2021 6:55 pm

Please could you explain how is this possible? It's hard to undertand your comment, Linux kernel works around system architecture, x86, arm, riscv, https://github.com/torvalds/linux/tree/master/arch. If the RouterBoard is Tile, how the kernel works without using any TILE code?

Thanks,

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun May 02, 2021 9:03 pm

MikroTik wrote their own TILE architecture. It does not use the one from that github repository.
Remember they do a lot of patches to the kernel. That provides them with some unique features, but also with a lot of headaches.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun May 02, 2021 9:55 pm

Where is the quickset selection for capsman? ;-PPP