MikroTik App

spaxton
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Static DNS name only

Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:45 am

Dear Friends,

I would like to add some static names in DNS section in mikrotik. This is actually very easy but anyway... I would like to add only a computer name. For example, computer1 (computer1 is a local computer name and it has a local-private IP address). I did try this but it doesnt work but if I put computer1.com then it works . Is it possible to use names only in static DNS? How to make it?

Best regards!

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Static DNS name only

Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:36 am

RouterOS is happy to do it. You can add "computer1" as hostname for static record and if anyone asks for it, RouterOS will return correct address. The trouble is, clients don't do that. At least Windows always tries to attach domain when sending DNS queries. It's probably best to set domain in DHCP server settings and then add static record under that domain. Then you can type "computer1", the question will be for "computer1.mynet.lan" (or whetever you use) and it will work.

spaxton
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: Static DNS name only

Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:36 am

RouterOS is happy to do it. You can add "computer1" as hostname for static record and if anyone asks for it, RouterOS will return correct address. The trouble is, clients don't do that. At least Windows always tries to attach domain when sending DNS queries. It's probably best to set domain in DHCP server settings and then add static record under that domain. Then you can type "computer1", the question will be for "computer1.mynet.lan" (or whetever you use) and it will work.

Thanks friend!