Community discussions

MikroTik App

jober
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

NetBios traffic over a VPN

Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:36 pm

I am tring to setup a pptp server on my MT that can pass netbios traffic to the 8 people connected to the pptp server. I want all of the PCs to see each other. I have two PC on the LAN side and 6 on the WAN side.
Can anyone tell me how to make this work?

tneumann

Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:19 pm

As long as it is NetBIOS over IP (and not NetBEUI, which can't be routed) then it is just IP traffic like any other IP packets, so you do not need to do anything special with your VPN to make this work.

If you're talking about what can be 'seen' in Windows Network Neighborhood then that's a different issue and more of a windows problem than a routing or a MikroTik problem (i.e. WINS or DNS versus broadcast-based NetBIOS name discovery based on elected 'master browsers' and other MS suckage that I would rather not concern myself with...)

--Tom

jober
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:23 pm

OK, I want to see the files and printers on the other network when I browse Network Neighborhood from ether side of the VPN.
They don't have a WINS server and I don't want to use EoIP(if EoIP would work). But If EoIP is the only way I guess I could make them buy a RB133.

Anyway, this whole thing suchs because Linksys End point VPN routers do it but MT is looking like it's not going to work.

bjohns
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:04 am

Setting up a WINS server isn't that difficult - if there's a windows server then its just turning it on. Otherwise Samba is excellent. This would be my suggestion for a client/server style VPN.

Interesting the Linksys ones do this - I might investigate them further and see what kind of magic it is.

tneumann

Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:35 am

Interesting the Linksys ones do this - I might investigate them further and see what kind of magic it is.
Usually UDP broadcast forwarding, think DHCP relay with a different destination port (137 instead of 67).

Anyway, I agree that a WINS server is a much cleaner solution.

And while we are at it, the following link is worth reading:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/networ ... _ch11.mspx

--Tom

jo2jo
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:53 am

any ideas as to how to implemment this on MT? ( UDP broadcast forwarding) I ask as i have a few locations that use VPN for windows file and print services..and i just hard code the LMhosts files on the clients...

a constantly updated system would be real nice..

tks

jober
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:18 am

So if I used an EoIP tunnel what would stop the two networks DHCP servers from muching up.

Oh, And I would go with a WINS server but the customer has just layed out a lot of cast on new PCs so a server is a at least a year away.

On another Note, I use a VPN client called Hamachi to do VPN LAN games, so I know this would work if I bridge the PCs running Hamachi on each side to the ethernet cards and then add the routes in the routers. BUT, I don't like using a Free program that may not be free in the future.

bjohns
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:31 am

Usually UDP broadcast forwarding, think DHCP relay with a different destination port (137 instead of 67).
Sounds like something you can mimic using RouterOS, if not then maybe MT would like to include something like this?

jober
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:19 am

The Linksys routers have the option of: "Enable NetBIOS Broadcast"
All you have top do it check the little box and you then see all the shared folders and printers.

If someone has an easy way to do this it would be a good sticky or wiki.

bjohns
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:37 am

From the site linked by tneumann:
You can enable NetBT broadcast forwarding (UDP ports 137 and 138) on some routers. However, the practice of enabling NetBT broadcast forwarding to simplify NetBIOS name resolution is highly discouraged.
So I would lean towards WINS.

jo2jo
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:08 am

I think the issue is WINS requires windows server and a seperate machine, and for many 5-15 computer offices, or homes, that want secure remote access to their files, setting up a wins server is not possible.

am i mistaken about the need for a server os, and a seperate server?

tks

andrewluck
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:03 pm

SAMBA will also act as a WINS server.

Regards

Andrew