Community discussions

MikroTik App

dawe4444
just joined
Topic Author

Capsman ? WDS ? Mesh ?

Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:48 pm

Dear Mikrotik users,

I'm quite new in the mikrotik world. Just recently bought the MIKROTIK RBD52G-5HacD2HnD-TC and managed to successfully configure it so it acts as a LAN/WLAN AP router with DHCP server forwarding traffic to a FTTH modem using a VLAN interface.

The house where I live in (environment) has a basement where I usually work, the only problem is the wifi signal is not strong enough down there. I'm thinking buying another same mikrotik device and connect it to via Ethernet to the 1st mikrotik device. I would like to have this transition seamless when moving. I was reading and there are multiple choices ? What would be the best approach ? Capsman ? WDS over ethernet ? Mesh ? Or just the same SSID on a different channel ?

Thank you for your suggestions !

Regards,
David

andriys
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Capsman ? WDS ? Mesh ?

Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:19 pm

WDS over ethernet ?
Huh? :)

Or just the same SSID on a different channel ?
Go this way. There's absolutely no need to do anything more complicated than this in your case.

dawe4444
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:33 pm

I see but will it be seamless ? I usually pick a call upstairs and then go downstairs.

andriys
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:01 pm

Depends on your client device. Roaming is always a function of client. AP may assist, but it always up to the client to do the switchover.

heidarren
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:53 pm

I tried it all, CAPsMAN gives me the best roaming experience, but it will reduce the max download speed from 470mbps to 360mbps, if your ISP speed is lower than that and you will be totally fine. Btw my setup is cAP AC2 + hAP AC

empy

Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:15 am

had same issues.

seamless roaming not possible in a professional way with mikrotik. capsman wont help. go with professional aps, such as aruba, or cisco.

in my experience mikrotik roaming is comparable to if you would just use two tp-link aps with the same ssid.

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:17 am

seamless roaming not possible in a professional way with mikrotik. capsman wont help. go with professional aps, such as aruba, or cisco.
@empy, perhaps that's somewhat true for dense/complex enterprise setup...but we're talking about a dude's basement at a house, and that is after setting his main Mikrotik all up with VLAN etc to FTTH.

Anyway... Mikrotik to extend Wi-Fi be perfect, I think.

If you only need Wi-Fi, one of the cAP model may be better/cheaper. In any case, you can use any QuickSet mode that has the radio buttons to select "Bridged" (not "Routed" - no need for 2 DHCP etc. on the network), then pick the same SSID/password you used on the other one, and as @andriys says "just pick another channel". You'd do need an ethernet cable between them too ;).

You could use CAPsMAN, that give you a "central place" to control the channel selection, password, SSID names, etc (e.g. from your first MIkrotik) - but I won't mess with it here – it's just a handful of settings need on the 2nd AP your talking about to make this all work, and your Wi-Fi will be dramatic improved I'd image from 2nd AP. Basement are typically a lot of cement, which is one of the worse material for Wi-Fi penetration, and likely why you need a 2nd AP.

Just to add to this...
Roaming is always a function of client. AP may assist, but it always up to the client to do the switchover.
Correct. Essentially, the Wi-Fi device, reads the dB level of all APs it can find, and selects the best one. Apple explain it's logic for doing this if you want a more full explanation: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206207 – and the scheme Apple use is largely the same as Android or any Wi-Fi device, with the "trigger point" etc varying of course.