Community discussions

MikroTik App

kevin_i_orourke
just joined
Topic Author

Simple queue priorities

Wed May 23, 2007 5:47 pm

I've been experimenting with Hotspot user profile rate limiting, to try and prevent some of our users (kids in the staff quarters) hogging all our bandwidth (a measly 128Kbps downlink).

It seems to be working, apart from the relative priorities. For example, I've set the staff quarters users to priority 8 and office users to priority 2. Much of the time though the staff quarters users are still top of the bandwidth table and people trying to do work-related internet stuff get really slow connections.

Am I right in thinking that 1 is top priority and 8 bottom? That's what it says in the manual (although under Hierarchical Token Bucket specifically).

Is there some subtlety to priorities that I'm missing?

Maybe I just need to reduce the rate limits for the kids further, give them the real 9600 baud modem experience! :twisted:

tneumann

Thu May 24, 2007 10:25 am

You can not achieve much of an effect with priorities for downstream traffic on your end of the link. Priority queueing of your downloads should be performed on the ISP's router at the other end of the link.

--Tom

kevin_i_orourke
just joined
Topic Author

Thu May 24, 2007 11:21 am

You can not achieve much of an effect with priorities for downstream traffic on your end of the link. Priority queueing of your downloads should be performed on the ISP's router at the other end of the link.
Ah yes. Unfortunately we have no control over these things at the ISP's end. Satellite ISPs really need to provide more QoS and traffic shaping facilities.

OK, harsh download limits for the kiddies it is!