Community discussions

MikroTik App

DotTest37
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

How to Wireless Repeater (signal booster)?

Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:21 pm

My cable TV provider have hotpots all around the city, I always connect to them with my laptop authenticating via web using an account I have with them.
Sometimes I work in a place where that WiFi signal is very weak, and I wonder if I could use a Mikrotik to amplify it so I can connect to the Internet using my laptop.

I dont need the Mikrotik to be authenticated on the target WIFi, I just need to amplify the signal so I can log in on the same SSID using my laptop, as I normally do when Im close to their Hotspot.
Does anybody has a suggestion on how that can be achieved?

Thanks guys.

UpRunTech
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: How to Wireless Repeater (signal booster)?

Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:46 pm

I dont need the Mikrotik to be authenticated on the target WIFi, I just need to amplify the signal so I can log in on the same SSID using my laptop, as I normally do when Im close to their Hotspot.
What do you mean register? Do you mean with a WPA2 password login or a hotspot style login on an open access point?

DotTest37
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:03 pm

Hotspot style login, just like a Hospital.
I dont want the Mikrotik to register on the Hotspot, because what I want is to use one or more laptops, and log in from them.
Does that makes sense?

UpRunTech
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:43 pm

Hotspot style login, just like a Hospital.
I dont want the Mikrotik to register on the Hotspot, because what I want is to use one or more laptops, and log in from them.
Does that makes sense?
OK well first try this:

* Create a bridge - "Bridge1".
* Set wlan1 in "station pseudobridge" mode and set it to join the desired SSID without a password (security profile mode is 'none').
* Make a slave wlan2 in AP mode with the same SSID and no password.
* Make sure wlan1 and wlan2 are member ports on Bridge1.

I don't know if you will be able to get more than one laptop at a time logged in.

DotTest37
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:51 pm

I tried that, but the laptop never gets DHCP.
I see the bootpc/bootps traffic on the slave Wifi, and I see it on the Bridge, but I never see it on the master Wireless.
I though the issue was on the bridge, but if I set it for DHCP client it gets an IP from the ISP.

UpRunTech
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:16 pm

I tried that, but the laptop never gets DHCP.
I see the bootpc/bootps traffic on the slave Wifi, and I see it on the Bridge, but I never see it on the master Wireless.
I though the issue was on the bridge, but if I set it for DHCP client it gets an IP from the ISP.
OK scratch and start again trying this:

https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:I ... s#Repeater

I have never used it - I am wondering if it quietly enables (local)-proxy-arp into the mix.

DotTest37
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:13 am

[quote=

OK scratch and start again trying this:

https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:I ... s#Repeater

I have never used it - I am wondering if it quietly enables (local)-proxy-arp into the mix.
[/quote]
:-( , those instructions called for a passphrase on the main interface so it connects to the originating AP, or WPS.
I have neither one, authentication is via Web, and I dont have physical access to the originating AP, so no WPS button for me.