Community discussions

MikroTik App

rfc1149
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Groove, Metal, NetMetal series outdoor waterproofing

Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:59 pm

I'm about to do quite a few installs with Groove AP's.
Can anyone who has some experience using the Groove series outdoors lend any insight into additional steps taken to ensure long product life?
The thin rubber seal on the screw-cap of the Groove's has me slightly concerned as it seals slightly unevenly unless you are very careful.
Similarly, I'm worried about water ingress to the N-connector. Nothing that a copious amount of duct tape or silicone can't fix!

e.g. I've seen previous posts of a Groove mounted to a parabolic grid antenna with what looks like a lot of duct tape over the N connector (see last picture).
I have also read about the NetMetal issues with the LED sticker and rain ingress (which were resolved as isolated incidents and possible defective units).
The only thing I haven't been able to find is whether the Groove series conform to a rain/dust ingress rating (i.e. IP54 or IP67).

MikroTik have stated that they do subject the units to extreme testing conditions but it's still nice to have that backed by a rating instead of a statement.

Edit: title, I'm also interested to hear about the Metal and NetMetal series. I've ordered a few to play around with and should have some installs coming up in very cold regions.
Last edited by rfc1149 on Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

w32pamela
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Groove and Metal series outdoor waterproofing

Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:19 pm

I've been selling Grooves to boat owners and RVers since 2014 and before that Bullets which have essentially the same sealing gaskets at the top end and failures due water ingress have been very rare and usually due to not securing the antenna properly in the N-connector.

I've never had water get in through the bottom cap except when the boat owner laid it on deck in a storm. The cap has 4 drain holes which prevent water from collecting in the cap so even if there was no gasket between the bottom cap and body I wouldn't worry about failure.

I use silicone grease on the N-female connector threads. This protects against corrosion that could make it impossible to remove the connector.

I haven't heard about problems with the NetMetal LED labels but I don't use the Metal series. Ubiquiti had label problems on a run of Bullets early in their production and they fixed it quickly and fairly. I assume Mikrotik would handle it similarly. The internet posts about the Bullet labels stayed around long after the fix.

I would not gunk up your equipment caulking or with tape unless it is something like silicone tape that can be cut away leaving the hardware clean.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Groove and Metal series outdoor waterproofing

Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:30 pm

I do not have problem with groove or metal, but whith those grid models on photo..

jebz

Re: Groove, Metal, NetMetal series outdoor waterproofing

Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:21 am

e.g. I've seen previous posts of a Groove mounted to a parabolic grid antenna with what looks like a lot of duct tape over the N connector (see last picture).
The pictures show the use of what looks like the correct tape over the N-connector. It should be self amalgamating waterproof tape.
https://www.3m.com.au/3M/en_AU/company- ... 000&rt=rud
Ideally use a right angle N adaptor to get the Groove with the ethernet entry pointing down.
https://au.rs-online.com/web/p/coaxial- ... s/7581610/
The ethernet cable should come up from the bottom so it's not a pathway for water entry.
This picture below shows the ethernet entry in a not quite ideal position.
https://air-stream.org/wp-content/files ... d-Rear.jpg