Community discussions

MikroTik App

markB
just joined
Topic Author

hAP ac (lite) - Need assist getting back to 'out of box' configuration

Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:19 am

I made the mistake of letting Webconfig upgrade the firmware. The running version was RouterOS 6.45.9 the upgrade was supposed to be to 6.47.2. At the time it seemed like a good idea to start with the latest version.

Once installed the thing appeared dead. No wifi at all. Decided to go back to the working 6.45.9. Ended up using net install to get there only to discover that the basic config is not the same as it was when it was delivered.

Is the configuration script that is installed when units are shipped available somewhere? I tried creating a config 'script' by doing an export from a working unit, copying the resulting text into a file and pointing netinstall at that file as the configuration, but it missed at least a few items. For example the DHCP server had all zeros for its address range, and I still don't appear to have access to the internet via the wan (ping doesn't reach out, and DNS is inop.)

Thanks for any help and pointers to information I need to know. (This unit is definitely making me feel stupid :)

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: hAP ac (lite) - Need assist getting back to 'out of box' configuration

Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:28 am

I wonder why someone just throws something to a router an reboots. What prevents you from reading the release notes?

Your solution is to use netinstall, if all other options failed.

Put there the latest long-term version which is the 6.45.9 for now.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:38 pm

Use safe mode for any config changes once you are up and running, winbox for configuring is far better to use IMHO.

markB
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:09 pm

jarda wrote:
>>"I wonder why someone just throws something to a router and reboots. What prevents you from reading the release notes?

I wonder why the router offered the update on initial startup. Guess I was wrong in thinking that the developers knew what they were doing.
Can we just stick to useful/helpful responses? I already know (and acknowledged) that I'm a beginner at this and making dumb mistakes.

>>Your solution is to use netinstall, if all other options failed.
>>Put there the latest long-term version which is the 6.45.9 for now.

I did just that. However it didn't restore with the same configuration that it was shipped with. My question was, 'where can I get a copy of that initial config?'

---

anav wrote:
>> ... winbox for configuring is far better to use IMHO

You're most certainly correct. However this is a linux and MacOS shop. I had to dig out a Dell notebook from 2004 running XP to run netinstall.

Mark

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:25 pm

Mikrotik made an offer... Who decided to install? I have never seen an offer to upgrade the routerboard unless I checked the upgrade availability. Anyway. It's on you only what you do with your devices. If you do not understand what you do, consult manual, read forum or use Google. Every beginner's question was responded many times. I failed in similar way like you in the past, many times. But only me was to blame for that.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:28 pm

Everytime you reset the configuration it gets the factory defaults. There is one exclusion, but I believe its not your case. Take advice. Forget about the defaults, remove the configuration and make whole settings you need from scratch. It's the best approach to have clean configuration with only those things what you have set.