Community discussions

MikroTik App

dharris
Topic Author

newbie question on installing routerboard 532a

Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:51 am

hi,

i just purchased a routerboard 532a. from my understanding it has an OS already installed as well as level 4 license. i would like to administer it using winbox but need to give it an IP and whatever else required to get to the point of using winbox. i checked all the docs but can't seem to get into the OS. i have tried connecting using a serial console cable (standard blue cisco console cable) but can't get anything to register through a hyperterminal session. i also don't get a link light when connecting the console cable to ethernet 1. i tried using netinstall but the mikrotik routerboard doesn't show up like the examples. only the external HD to my PC shows up.

i know this is an easy one but for some reason i'm not able to get into the OS using what i've found.

any pointers would be great.

tia,
frustrated

oz_gr
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: newbie question on installing routerboard 532a

Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:22 am

yes os is installed already ; so dont need to deal with netinstall; are you sure you are powering the device properly ? even the ip address is set to 0.0.0.0 at fist device is either can be seen & logged in via winbox or hyper terminal! try to power directly instead of poe (dont forget to make sure your jumper settings are correct) and then try winbox; if does not appear then connect to hyperterminal in win. xp then power up the rb. hope this helps

balimore
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:17 am

----
yes.
i suggest you, first time to login in to your router is better when you are using mac-telnet mikrotik's application for.
with default id username: [admin] and password: [empty]

regards
Hasbullah.com
----
hi,

i just purchased a routerboard 532a. from my understanding it has an OS already installed as well as level 4 license. i would like to administer it using winbox but need to give it an IP and whatever else required to get to the point of using winbox. i checked all the docs but can't seem to get into the OS. i have tried connecting using a serial console cable (standard blue cisco console cable) but can't get anything to register through a hyperterminal session. i also don't get a link light when connecting the console cable to ethernet 1. i tried using netinstall but the mikrotik routerboard doesn't show up like the examples. only the external HD to my PC shows up.

i know this is an easy one but for some reason i'm not able to get into the OS using what i've found.

tia,
frustrated

iron4umx
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:44 am

----
yes.
i suggest you, first time to login in to your router is better when you are using mac-telnet mikrotik's application for.
with default id username: [admin] and password: [empty]

regards
Hasbullah.com
----
hi,

tia,
frustrated

Yes, mac telnet is recommended for first time login, hre is a nice tool to do mac-telnet for your routerboard:
http://www.mikrotik.com/download/neighbour.zip

Make shure you got your jumper settings correct, plug your routerboard directly to your PC using crossover ethernet cable (just in case 8)),Then you log in (user: admin password:"Just press enter", then set the ip address using:
setup
Then, follow the setup put the ip address for the interface you are currently connected, exit the mac-telnet session, run winbox and type that same ip, you can allso hit the little button in winbox in the rigth side were you put the ip address, the ip and mac of your routerboard sould pop up.

Make shure you disable your firewall in your computer before you do all of this, Winbox uses port 8291/TCP telnet uses port 23 and ssh (secure shell Programs like putty) use port 22

So we got:

Make shure you got the jumpers correct in your routerboard.
Disable all firewall protection for your computer.
Connect your your routerboard directly to your computer using cossover cable.
Try to use winbox, if it does not work then:
Click this: http://www.mikrotik.com/download/neighbour.zip
Download this file, un-zip-it, run the program.
Make a mac-telnet to your routerboard.
Run Winbox and... have fun¡¡¡.

Best Regards: iron4umx

dharris
Topic Author

Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:23 pm

hi All,

thanks to all for the replies, i used neighbor.zip to access the routerboard and set the IP. everything is working great!

thanks again everyone for the superb advice.

-dave

iron4umx
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:37 am

Great to hear that¡¡¡ :D :D :D :D :D