Community discussions

MikroTik App

docboy
Topic Author

Help with Comcast modem bridge mode, no internet

Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:04 pm

Trying to setup Intermedia VoIP. Currently have Comcast Voice Edge that has a built in modem and router. Intermedia advised me to order a new router to take place of Comcast which is not compatible with Intermedia phones. Mikrotik hAP ac2 is on their approved list, so I order one. I first enabled Bridge mode on Comcast modem. Comcast modem has ethernet cable coming from the main switch and is plugged into port 1. I unplug port 1 from Comcast and plug into port 2 Mikrotik. I then connect an ethernet cable from port 1 Comcast and plug into port 1 Mikrotik. Theoretically the Mikrotik router should handle all of the devices internet and all internet and wifi should go back on.

But there is no internet connection. Any advice?

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Help with Comcast modem bridge mode, no internet

Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:16 pm

This is the question for a crystal ball.

Whatever could be wrong.

docboy
Topic Author

Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:48 pm

If the Comcast modem is in Bridge mode, should the Mikrotik be in Router mode or Bridge? I assume Router mode?

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:00 am

Correct assumption.

docboy
Topic Author

Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:58 pm

Correct assumption.
Thanks. I set Mikrotik in router mode. Still no internet. I thought it would be plug and play into the Comcast modem.

Any suggestions? Mikrotik support says Comcast DHCP server needs to be enabled so the router can get an IP address. How do I check DHCP is enabled on Comcast modem after it's in bridge mode?

I'm a newbie to this stuff...

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:58 pm

You will need to consult comcast support with questions related to it. This is mikrotik forum and it is not intended for unrelated topics. Sorry for this.

docboy
Topic Author

Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:20 am

You will need to consult comcast support with questions related to it. This is mikrotik forum and it is not intended for unrelated topics. Sorry for this.
Spent the whole day with Comcast support and Intermedia. Still no internet in Comcast bridge mode; a comcast tech believes it's a router issue. Intermedia tech believes it's an issue with Comcast modem.

A comcast tech called and mentioned they prefer setting the Mikrotik's router primary and secondary dns to that of comcast's: 75.75.75.75 and 75.75.76.76
Intermedia had me set Mikrotik router to that of google's: 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

If I change the Mikrotik router to use comcast dns instead of google's would this make a difference in getting internet? I'm not at the office until next week.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:17 am

It's easy to try such suggestion. Hard to guess the result, especially if you did not any real functional observation of the problem. In your case I would check the port state, negotiation status, traffic on the ports by torch, ip addresses, routes, ping outside from the router. While this works for you can move forward.

docboy
Topic Author

Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:20 pm

It's easy to try such suggestion. Hard to guess the result, especially if you did not any real functional observation of the problem. In your case I would check the port state, negotiation status, traffic on the ports by torch, ip addresses, routes, ping outside from the router. While this works for you can move forward.
Spoke to another tech from Comcast. This one claims the Mikrotik router is not serving a DHCP address and is not properly assigning IPs, hence no internet.

I believe the Mikrotik router out of the box is already DHCP enabled?

How do I check that the router is DHCP enabled and that it's able to assign IPs properly? Sorry, total newb here.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:14 pm

Remove all configuration from your mikrotik and set everything you need manually. Then you will know what is set and why. Otherwise you just need to believe in something.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:14 pm

Sorry, it is not ideal for newbie...

Reset to defaults and check what and how it works.

docboy
Topic Author

Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:56 am

Courtesy of @Jarda:

viewtopic.php?t=165668

From a thread I hijacked:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=165506&p=815990#p815990

Tomorrow will try suggestions by @Jarda and @SEJohnsen.

docboy
Topic Author

Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:39 pm

Sorry, it is not ideal for newbie...

Reset to defaults and check what and how it works.
Hello, I changed the IP address of ether 2 to 192.168.88.1 and suddenly the router no longer works. I cannot access the router anymore.

I tried holding the rest button and repowering the router until the led blinks, but still cannot access the router anymore. Is there another way to access the router or reset it? Thanks.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:20 pm

You should be able to connect winbox over mac if ip configuration is broken.