Community discussions

MikroTik App

suby58
just joined
Topic Author

VMware Esxi Use Virtual Mikrotik

Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:46 am

Hello everyone,

I want to see and analyze the traffic of the virtual server installed on vmware with mikrotik.I guess mikrotik needs to work in bridge mode for this.But no matter how hard I tried I failed.I want see traffic and prevent specific attacks.

all my settings are as follows:

How do I it ?

Thanks.

cdiedrich
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: VMware Esxi Use Virtual Mikrotik

Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:46 pm

First, you need to enable promiscuous mode on the vswitch port groups your routerOS vm is connected to. Since that impacts all other vms as well, I-d advise to create another port group just for this vm on the vSwitch (the one that has physical adapters and has the "VM Network" port group on it)
Second, if I am not totally wrong, you should check "use IP Firewall" in bridge settings in your routerOS vm.

-Chris

suby58
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:26 pm

First, you need to enable promiscuous mode on the vswitch port groups your routerOS vm is connected to. Since that impacts all other vms as well, I-d advise to create another port group just for this vm on the vSwitch (the one that has physical adapters and has the "VM Network" port group on it)
Second, if I am not totally wrong, you should check "use IP Firewall" in bridge settings in your routerOS vm.

-Chris
Thanks, It worked when I did it the way you said. -> http://prntscr.com/ue9lec
But now i am seeing the traffic of all virtual servers on mikrotik, do i need to connect a second ethernet cable to the server for promiscuous mode?

cdiedrich
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:13 pm

Now that's by design, unfortunately. The most pragmatic way would be filtering by IP address.
-Chris