Community discussions

MikroTik App

ekkas
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Dude device bulk password change

Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:39 am

Hi, we have our own utility to change bulk passwords for devices.
Now our Dude is outdated and we do not want to change hundreds of devices' password in dude one-by-one to match the devices in the field.
Is there any way to change the passwords recorded in Dude en-masse?
NB: Only to change passwords in dude, not on devices. Can I somehow copy/edit SQLITE db?
Thanks
Ekkas

cdiedrich
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Dude device bulk password change

Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:32 pm

As long as the devices are on a map, you can multi-select the devices in question, right-click, settings and just update the password there. Do not touch any other fields.
-Chris

ekkas
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:34 pm

Thanks Diedrich,
however we have a few hundred spread out over many sub-maps, so a "back-door" solution is preferable, also to automate for future changes.
Regards
Ekkas

sid5632
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:46 pm

The data in the database is just a big blob, and nobody knows the format (outside of MikroTik, obviously, and they aren't telling).
So the answer is no.

excession
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:13 pm

You can also make multi-device edits from the devices list, you can even filter that first if need be.

Until Mikrotik develop an API for the Dude, this is your only practical solution.

As I recall, someone did release their experiments decoding the Dude database on git-hub. They also alluded to the possibility of programatically reading this data (without any example code) however even they never got to the point they were writing values back into it.

SimonK

Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:37 pm

Hi,
Does anyone have a good tool to change password in multiple routers.

I have 90 routers where i need to update my password on, any ideas how to change on all routers witout do login into all routers one by one

/Simon

excession
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:47 pm

Bash SSH script or Ansible if you have SSH enabled. Not as hard as you might think (assuming these are new to you).

And since you can run any ROS command using the dude, although it’s designed to gather information, I’ve always thought it should be possible with the ROS CMD function in the Dude. Though I’ve not put any example code together. I think it would be fairly easy to write a ROS CMD that works like a regular poll but just sets the password on each poll. Run it long enough to make sure everything is hit then remove that poll. It’s kludgy, but efficient if you only have winbox access enabled.