Community discussions

MikroTik App

dalami
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

US LTE recommendations

Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:56 pm

As usual, I'm confused by the many options available. I have a need for a simple LTE modem that will provide at least one ethernet connection. Wifi is a plus but not essential.

I recently ordered a NetGear 1120LB for this application - haven't received or tried it yet but I thought I'd ask if my preferred brand (Mikrotik obviously) would offer me a better solution. The 1120LB is presently US$129 - so I'm looking for something comparable. The primary provider I use is T-Mobile, meaning bands 2, 4, 5, 12, 66, 71. Which seems to mean 2, 4, 5, 12 based on available products.

At the moment I *think* the candidates are:
RBwAPR-2nD&R11e-LTE-US (wAP LTE kit US)
RB912R-2nD-LTm&R11e-LTE-US (LtAP mini LTE kit US)

Now that I've spent some time reading through the options, I think I now understand that the R11e-LTE-US is the modem for my area - so any product that either includes it or supports it would be the appropriate choice. I don't *think* there's any reason at this time for LTE6 as our networks don't support it yet. So if I'm right so far - I guess the question comes down to whether the wAP R or LtAP mini are the better base product for my needs. Again, they seem basically the same, with the differences of:

LtAP supports power input via microUSB and has a GPS module (requiring an antenna) for...things. I've never setup GPS associates with wireless so I don't know what I'd use it for.
wAP R supports direct wiring to 12/24VDC for presumably either direct wiring or using an automotive plug-in power adapter.

Is my summary accurate? Am I missing anything? And...what could/should I use the GPS for?

JardinEspanol

Re: US LTE recommendations

Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:28 am

Do you currently get strong signal from one of the carriers where you need to use a LTE device? If not, you may need to consider outdoor solution.
I use https://www.cellmapper.net to check nearby tower locations and what LTE bands they use. This will help you to narrow down your options.

dalami
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: US LTE recommendations

Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:53 am

I appreciate the advice - and yes the signal strength is fine. Do you have any comments for my original questions?

krafg
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: US LTE recommendations  [SOLVED]

Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:29 pm

Between wAP and LtAP, I prefer LtAP because is easy replace the internal antenna for an external one.

GPS was designed for vehicular purposes to track it, but also I not know clearly the real uses for it.

LtAP probably can use 2 modems (pci-e + usb) instead only one of wAP.

Regards.