Community discussions

MikroTik App

uberkie
just joined
Topic Author

CCR Takes the heat

Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:01 pm

A couple of days ago the air-con in one of our containers broke which i haven't been able to fix yet
today i logged in just to check if the ccr1009 its still on to my surprise its working without any issues with
the room temp 61 Celsius
I checked everything no problems what so ever makes me wonder why bother fixing the air-con.

Good work Mikrotik

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: CCR Takes the heat

Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:09 pm

A couple of days ago the air-con in one of our containers broke which i haven't been able to fix yet
today i logged in just to check if the ccr1009 its still on to my surprise its working without any issues with
the room temp 61 Celsius
I checked everything no problems what so ever makes me wonder why bother fixing the air-con.

Good work Mikrotik
I think you have to fix your air-con... :D
The cpu temp is pretty high. 61 Celsius for the system temperature is high too...

Paternot
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:46 am

Yes, they can take the heat. The specs are up to 60C - ambient temperature.
Take a look at this one:
https://mikrotik.com/product/CCR1009-7G-1C-PC

Of course, 61C is a little over it, and I would not want to run it above 45C ambient. But, still, looks like it can really take 60C. Amazing, huh?

sri2007
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:25 am

Actually, a few months ago I tested a CCR1009-7G-1C-1S+ in a really high temperature environment, it was working fine with 80 celsius degrees, and it started to reboot when the router was going over 85 celsius degrees aprox, the log that it showed was rebooted because of high CPU temperature reached.

That router was installed in a metallic shelter without any AC, the external temperature was about 30 celsius degrees, and the sun was hitting directly to the box at noon.

SystemErrorMessage

Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:43 am

so it seems like the CCR reboots before the CPU gets hot enough for any real damage ((above 100C) however the CCR is a big chip having many many cores..

Instead of relying on airconditioning i suggest ventilation instead. The ventilation is to buffer and carry air to either air conditioning or outside, as recycling the air with AC is inefficient than cooling the air intake from outside, and blowing out the hot air at the other. The Ventilation buffering the air also reduces the probability of significant condensation happening on your servers as well. Power use of CCR significantly increases based on temperature too, so if anyone is able to water cool the thing to very low temperatures, i'd be curious to see the power use.

You have your CCR in one of the smaller metal enclosed racks?

StubArea51
Trainer
Trainer

Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:16 pm

Ever since I first started using MikroTik 10 years ago, I've been very impressed with how well they handle higher temperatures when a climate controlled environment is not available.