Community discussions

MikroTik App

dnaurecki
just joined
Topic Author

CSS106-5G-1S multicast problem

Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:47 pm

Hello,

I work for medium sized ISP in Poland. Among other services we are providing IPTV over multicast.
Few of our client are connected using fiber optics (uplink on SFP port) and RB260GS (older version, NOT CSS106-5G-1S) as access device.
Firmware is latest for this version of hardware, i.e. SwOS 1.17 and everything is working great.
On some devices there is even older firmware (1.13). We didn't upgraded it because there was no problems at all.

Last batch that came from our supplier was CSS106-5G-1S and then problems with multicast IPTV started.
Customers reports problems with TV, e.g. screen freezes, sound glitches.
Our multicast testing probe connected to CSS106-5G-1S in fact shows multiple lost and out of order packets.
We tried changing settings like turning IGMP on and off, but nothing helped.
We tested firmwares from 2.4 to newest 2.10, then ruled out other network problems -
when we replaced CSS106-5G-1S with other managed switch (d-link,3com) multicast probe shows no problems at all.

anyone got any ideas what might be cause of problem?
best regards

oskarsk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: CSS106-5G-1S multicast problem

Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:22 pm

Try disabling IGMP-snooping, to see if it helps to return to the previous state and multicast should work.

dnaurecki
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:22 pm

thank you for response, but we tried that already with no effect

arnaudf
just joined

Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:34 pm

Hello,

@Mikrotik:
Using 2.12 fw shows strange multicast issue:
==> IPTV streams from my ISP works well with IGMP snooping DISABLED in System tab.

Some context:
- ISP uses a dedicated VLAN (840) for IPTV streams
- ISP uplink is on SFP port, set-top-box on port 5
- With System IGMP snooping enabled this doesn't work, whatever IGMP snooping in vlan table is checked (or not) for IPTV vlan
- All IGMP groups seems to be linked to uplink port, which is not expected

Regards.

kd2pm2
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:06 pm

Most people have stayed away from 2.12 since it is so buggy. I have not budged from 2.11 until I know release 2.13 is stable...But I am not going to load 2.12

kallquk
just joined

Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:57 am

Hello,
just now I was just creating a new post, when I found it, just same problem I have..
At my work, installed an old rb260 with swos1.17, tag to untag from sfp to ethers, working uninterrupted for years
Affected by this good experience, I bought a new one for my home, without knowing that is new hardware

Classic scenario for a such device, untag to ether ports from tagged sfp, 3 subnets, where one of them is multicast iptv.
Unhappy, I noticed freezes and glitches, in every combination of settings, for all firmwares I tried, not only 2.12.
It does not matter if "igmp snooping" is checked or not, or it is under vlans tab or/and system tab.
All problems disappear if I replace the switch with a common sfp-to-ethernet media converter, and configure vlan to pc or stb.
have anyone acceptable results with igmp ?
especially you dnaurecki are the first that discovered the problem, did you resolved it ?

arnaudf
just joined

Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:11 am

Hello,

For IGMP I raised a Jira to Mikrotik (SUP-34161). They reproduce the issue and should include the fix in next releases. So cross the fingers.

@Kallquk :
I made the reverse way (from fiber adapter to RB260GS).
Have you enable IVL both in System and for each vlan in VLAN table ?
Also for each vlan in VLAN table, have you set "add if missing" option for ports linked to upstream and stb/iptv.

kallquk
just joined

Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:34 pm

thank for your efforts with mikrotik, helping me too

Have you enable IVL both in System and for each vlan in VLAN table ?
Also for each vlan in VLAN table, have you set "add if missing" option for ports linked to upstream and stb/iptv.
I just do it, ivl on everywhere, swos version 2.7p(fabric). Igmp on also, at vlans and system tabs. At vlans tab:
vlan xxx: sfp upstream = "add if missing", ether2 = "always strip", ether3 = "add if missing"
So, I use ether2 for normal ethernet config on pc/stb, or ether3 for vlan config on pc/stb.
I was NOt able to find any combination without this problem! Freezes and glitches are so evident, with increasing trend, making it useless.
hoping is not a hardware issue.
Did you make it working acceptable anyway ?

arnaudf
just joined

Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:50 pm

Hello,

I use SwOS 2.12 (upgraded).
I disable IGMP snooping in System for the moment.

I set "add if missing" and IVL as suggested.