Community discussions

MikroTik App

accarda
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

SXT LTE6 APN value different than internet.

Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:42 pm

Hello everyone,
it's few days that I'm using a new SXT LTE6 kit and I'm having only a strange issue when I try to set the proper APN for my SIM card provider.

My unit runs firmware rev R11e-LTE6_V026.
According to the provider website, the APN should be mobile.vodafone.it.
However whenever I enter that, the modem connects to the cell and in status it says full registration and all OK, but I don't get the IP assigned to LTE1 interface.
Only when I use APN "internet" I can receive the IP address (I can see it from log, only in that case DNS and IP get assigned dynamically).
I was wondering whether it's the SIM somehow "locked" to be used on specific hardware that does not allow me to set the APN different than internet.
Is this value internet some sort of wildcard value that works with everything ?

Anyway I'm using APN=internet and the whole things works, so I don't have a blocking issue, but I'd rather like to understand what's the issue with this.
I remember that when I used the SIM with the Huawei R218 (branded Vodafone that was with the SIM) I used to get a different public IP class, while now I get another class. This is why I'm not sure whether the SIM is "bound" to that modem mainly. Unfortunately from that modem the APN value was not visible, otherwise I would have checked it from there.
Thanks for any info that you can share.
Armando

SiB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: SXT LTE6 APN value different than internet.

Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:28 am

it's few days that I'm using a new SXT LTE6 kit and I'm having only a strange issue when I try to set the proper APN for my SIM card provider.
According to the provider website, the APN should be mobile.vodafone.it.
However whenever I enter that, the modem connects to the cell and in status it says full registration and all OK, but I don't get the IP assigned to LTE1 interface.
Only when I use APN "internet" I can receive the IP address (I can see it from log, only in that case DNS and IP get assigned dynamically).
Best way is call your ISP.
Some ISP use internet but additional APN are used for e.g. receive a Public IP etc.
You can provide BOTH APN and then you can receive proper IP with more sure :)
Some ISP detect lte devices and use other PLANs for them.

Check Tools>SMS. Enable Rx and go to Inbox to read SMS like "Your limit/plan..."

accarda
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: SXT LTE6 APN value different than internet.

Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:33 am

Thank you Sib for your comments.
Currently I have checked on SMS but I don't see any message indicating some sort of limitation, other than normal SMS for incoming missing calls.

I have done another test after reading other posts, by setting a blank APN (which I read should get the APN automatically from provider); even in that case the connection is established, but no IP is assigned to LTE interface.
So I guess there is some sort of limitation with the SIM that I'm using, but good new is that it works fine using APN="internet", so I'm leaving it with that.

Armando