Community discussions

MikroTik App

bonnecomm
Topic Author

USB Outdoor temperature sensor

Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:31 am

I want a temperature sensor that can plug into the USB port on an RB750UP and allow me to, via a script, read the temperature. Primarily, I want to read the temperature inside the equipment shed at a remote tower to make sure it hasn't gotten too cold (meaning the heater is busted) or too hot (meaning the AC is busted). But I thought, if the cable is long enough, I could also monitor the outside temperature at some sites too. While searching online for it, I found this (https://www.draytek.com/products/usb-thermometer/). It doesn't say it's compatible with MikroTiks so I'll assume it isn't. Are there compatible USB temperature sensors for MikroTik?

vecernik87
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: USB Outdoor temperature sensor

Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:38 am

compatible with particular brand = proprietary protocol, almost certainly not compatible with anything else. Unfortunately, there is no accessory like this for mikrotik.

Your best chance would be little arduino board, weather sensor (for example BME280), serial-to-usb converter, few wires, solder and bit of geekiness.
Once you have HW, all you need to do is program arduino to report data from sensor through its serial interface and poll the data through scheduler of your routerboard. However, do not expect it will appear as some system variable within the system itself. You can poll it and then it will be your responsibility to log/save/export it.

RogerWilco

Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:23 am

Another way that you might call dodgy is to just run a script to poll the temperature monitor in the RB750UP.
Not very accurate since it is measuring PCB temp so you'd need to factor that in.

Pea
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:54 am

Try searching for "PoE web ethernet temperature sensor" instead or similar ready solutions.

ErfanDL

Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:08 am

use IoT based system. I'm using raspberrypi
Screenshot_2019-04-07-10-37-16.jpg
Sent from my C6833 using Tapatalk

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

neutronlaser

Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:05 am

The Dude can monitor, graph and alert on your board's internal temperature.

Jotne
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:11 am

Same can Splunk (full version) , see my signatur link for more info.

PS this Router is stored in a place where the sun heats its up in the day time :)
Temperature.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

shailparmar
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:30 pm

use IoT based system. I'm using raspberrypi
Screenshot_2019-04-07-10-37-16.jpg

Sent from my C6833 using Tapatalk
Canyou share more information about this setup?

antonsb
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue May 05, 2020 11:43 am

This can be done from RouterOS as well.
Make simple Arduino||STM32 board with temperature sensor attached (DHT22 for example), that listens to serial input and answers with sensor data.
In RouterOS if serial device is attached - disabled ppp-client is created. Make simple script, that does at-chat to this port and sends data, to database (Grafana for example).

If anyone is interested we can make small write up with examples for this use case.

WeWiNet
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed May 06, 2020 12:12 pm

+1
I would be defiently interested in such example!

Skyder
just joined

Wed May 13, 2020 7:19 am

This can be done from RouterOS as well...
...If anyone is interested we can make small write up with examples for this use case.
+1
Please

WeWiNet
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed May 27, 2020 3:57 pm

Hi Antons, how about this proposed user article? ;-)
+1 (again)

UpRunTech
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:07 am

In RouterOS if serial device is attached - disabled ppp-client is created. Make simple script, that does at-chat to this port and sends data, to database (Grafana for example).
Oh that's a good idea, I was thinking the only way would be to use a script that processed data from a serially attached device using the obscure ":terminal inkey" command.

Some preliminary testing I did infers the inkey command is attached only to the console it's run from be it ssh, telnet or a serial port, so a microcontroller would have to interact first by logging into the serial port console using a login/password and then initiate a script to be run that starts the inkey/put script that processes the data from the device.

WeWiNet
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:39 pm

Why waveform doesn't go accurate? sometimes high and sometimes low
Jotne's waveform? It's temperature: Day and night change...

Jotne
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:09 pm

Jotne's waveform? It's temperature: Day and night change...
My router is up in the attic, so outside temperature and sun on the roof makes nice sinus curves :)

cusna

Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:23 pm

I resume this post.
I need help reading data from Mikrotik arduino via USB.
On the Arduino side, I can implement a serial protocol that responds to the mikrotik when making requests.
For example, I will connect a ds18b20 temperature sensor to the arduino which will store the temperature read every minute on a variable.
Mikrotik will interrogate arduino via serial (usb) (via a protocol to be defined) by reading the variable.
I have read various posts where the telnet connection is used, with the ethernet shied on arduino installed.
I don't have the internet shied so, I would like to do something simpler if it were possible.
I would need the configuration and the script on the mikrotik side.
Thank you in advance

Make simple Arduino||STM32 board with temperature sensor attached (DHT22 for example), that listens to serial input and answers with sensor data.

If anyone is interested we can make small write up with examples for this use case.

otgooneo
Trainer
Trainer

Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:56 am

I`m interested in it too. Please provide examples.

cusna

Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:28 pm

Dear otgooneo,
I not have examples, I need help.
However I opted for another method,
using arduino + eth shield, without going through mikrotik