MikroTik App

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

I wish SwOS and ROS were combined into one system

Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:57 pm

I wish SwOS and ROS were combined into one system

Both SwOS and ROS have their merits, strengths and issues.

I would really like to see a new combined system "ROS-SwOS" system where all switching was removed from ROS and then the entire SwOS system was fully incorporated into ROS.

ROS ; vlan switching is complex and there is no easy GUI to see all vlan switching at the same time.
SwOS ; Difficult to learn and understand if you normally use winbox on ROS, Does not support MAC-Telnet, Does not support Winbox.

IMO - A single system with combined ROS and SwOS just might be a winner.

Or - possibly a SwOS package that can be installed into ROS.

mozerd
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: I wish SwOS and ROS were combined into one system

Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:29 pm

+ A good suggestion +

And at the very least I would like to see proper integration between RouterOS and SwOS meaning:
For those devices that are capble of running either OS's if you configure the switch using SwOS and then switchover to RouterOS ... RouterOS would automagically adopt that configuration so that you can continue without having to start from scratch.

maigonis
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: I wish SwOS and ROS were combined into one system

Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:49 pm

+ A good suggestion +

And at the very least I would like to see proper integration between RouterOS and SwOS meaning:
For those devices that are capble of running either OS's if you configure the switch using SwOS and then switchover to RouterOS ... RouterOS would automagically adopt that configuration so that you can continue without having to start from scratch.
+1 to this.