Community discussions

MikroTik App

lweidig
just joined
Topic Author

CHR Hyper-V Loading Error

Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:56 pm

We are running Hyper-V Server 2019 Core along with a CHR router running 6.48.1. While we have been able to get this machine up and running there seems to be a problem with corrupting the hard drive image that then causes it to fail to boot. If we boot after corruption and start an RDP session through the Hyper-V server all we get is a black screen with the word "Loading" followed by a space and then a blinking cursor. I have left it there for 30+ minutes and it never finishes booting.

I then loaded up a Linux based boot ISO and tried to examine the disk against another VM that had a working disk. Was not able to determine anything to fix it based on this and about the only difference I noted was that the failing image had a /dev folder and the good working one did not.

On my test image I it seems that I am able to corrupt things by using the /shutdown command from within the running Mikrotik or by using the Shut Down option from Hyper-V. It does not happen 100% of the time but often enough.

I did note that 6.48.2 was released recently and have not upgraded to it as we have a running server and this is in production. However, the release notes do not hint at any changes / updates to the CHR code.

Only solution we have found at this point is blow it away, create a new one and restore the configuration. Of course we are running a P10 licensed version and I am not sure how many times it is going to let me keep moving the key even though there is nothing I can see we are doing to cause this.

satman1w
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: CHR Hyper-V Loading Error

Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:18 am

I'm almost certain that the question is for Microsoft and not for Mikrotik forum...

Never happened with VMware... Esxi, workstation, player...

elbob2002
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: CHR Hyper-V Loading Error

Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:13 pm

There was an issue with the 6.48.1 image. I think it's in the release thread somewhere.

Use 6.48.2 if you're going to deploy OVA