Community discussions

MikroTik App

proceau
just joined
Topic Author

Install Linux on CCR

Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:36 am

Hi,

I'm want install Linux on CCR, i'm image of Linux in Tiles format on my USB key and it's work fin in G36, what better solution to boot on CCR, use MicroSD ?

NathanA
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Install Linux on CCR

Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:25 pm

I don't think anybody has managed to do that yet. RouterBOOT does not support booting from SD. It only supports booting from internal NAND, or (on boards equipped with a slot) a CF card. As far as I know, no CCR has a CF slot, and the only RouterBoard model still in production that has one is the RB800. Many CCRs don't even have a SD slot!

So your only option would be to Netboot a Linux image and then use that to bootstrap installation to the NAND. I don't know if anyone has managed to build a working Tile kernel that supports all of the hardware on a CCR though.

-- Nathan

proceau
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:50 am

On Tilera Gx36 Engine it's possible to Boot on USB too, but need change jumper on Tilera DEV Carte, but i'm not see this jumper on Route CCR
It's not possible to package my Software on NPK or other Execution option for use the RouterOS Kernel et Mikrotik Installation ?

proceau
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:01 pm

Thx for your reply but it's you see this picture http://img.routerboard.com/mimg/807_l.jpg, see left on port 1, you can see the microSD slot
I'm try to boot ELF special kernel and hypervisor Tiles, it's works.
Any documentation of Hardware CCR and Drivers provide by RouterOS, because all it's integrate in Kernel Linux it's GPL no ?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:16 am

Here is some good information that might help a bit: https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=50897

None of the Tilera related drivers are open source, so MikroTik is unable to distribute them.

proceau
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:41 am

For Tilera Drivers no problem, i'm acquire SDK with All Source & Stack IP
Mikrotik can help me for Screen, MicroSD driver, and what modification of sromboot ( RouterBoot it's sromboot modified ) ?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:51 am

For Tilera Drivers no problem, i'm acquire SDK with All Source & Stack IP
Mikrotik can help me for Screen, MicroSD driver, and what modification of sromboot ( RouterBoot it's sromboot modified ) ?
no, RouterBOOT is RouterBOOT. Most drivers and tools are made by MikroTik, but with GPL code we can help, just email to support. But I can already say, that there is not much open source GPL stuff that could help :(

proceau
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:28 pm

Hi, normaly the 10Gbps port use phy of Tilera CPU, and it's can use with mpipe, i'm try use MDE kernel, and i'm write you thx, and happy new year

proceau
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:20 pm

OK i'm boot MDE Kernel, initrd and all chain work, but Tilera Driver XBGE et BGE don't works on CCR, what the drivers need use ?

RcRaCk2k
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:54 pm

Did you succeed with installation of Unix on Mikrotik CCRs?

guipoletto
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:48 pm

Given that Tilera proper is no more, (swallowed by the opensource blackhole that is Nvidia), and the TILE arch has been dropped from mainline kernel support for over a year now, i'd say it's pointless to even try.