Community discussions

MikroTik App

CodeAlpha
just joined
Topic Author

RB 4011 GS+RM SFP+ Port not working on 10gbp

Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:29 am

Hi,

I hope you could help me, I'm pretty new into networking but have learned the basics on how to setup my router, I had this for months now running without a problem. Recently I have added a 10gb nic to my pc and connected it to sfp+ port on my rb4011 gs+rm router. My problem is I can't seem to make it run on full 10gb speed, using bandwidth test I'm only getting 500mbps rx and 500mbps tx all of my ports are bridge including sfp+ port.

ConnyMercier
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: RB 4011 GS+RM SFP+ Port not working on 10gbp

Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:43 am

I would disable "Auto-Negotiation" and play with the Speeds on the Mikrotik.

P.S:
Your Mikrotik-Device and Computer won't be able to generate 10Gbit traffic via Bandwidth-Test
IF you really, really have to use it, test in only 1 direction UDP . You may get ~2.5 Gbits

tangent
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:41 pm

Recently I have added a 10gb nic to my pc and connected it to sfp+ port on my rb4011 gs+rm router.

Via what medium? Is this LC-LC fiber, or Cat-7 copper, or what? Which SFP+ module are you using on the RB4011 end? If it isn't a copper connection, is it a matching SFP+ module on the PC end, or have you mixed-and-matched?

using bandwidth test

Do you mean the internal RouterOS bandwidth test or some other test?

The MikroTik test only works against another MikroTik router, not against the PC itself. There are some old "btest" type programs floating about for PC OSes, but they only work with password authentication turned off, as far as I know, and I'm not willing to do that just to run the test.

The RB4011 has only one 10G port, so if you're doing something like iperf3 from one PC to another across the RB4011, you can't possibly get 10G to the other device, because it'll bottleneck down to 1G at the GigE ports.

I've got a btest running right now between a CRS328 and an RB4011, and I get about 1200 Mbit/sec over OM4 MMC fiber, unidirectional. (Bidirectional runs slower, as a rule.)

Keep in mind that the RB4011 is a router, not a switch, and its SFP+ cage is connected directly to the CPU, not to the switch chip. As a rule of thumb, you can only push about 1 Gbit/sec per 1 GHz of CPU power, so there you go with my 1.2 Gbit/sec results on this 1.4 GHz CPU. There are 4 cores and the internal btest has a connection count feature, but it appears the test isn't strongly multi-threaded:

/system resource cpu> print
 # CPU                                                                 LOAD         IRQ        DISK
 0 cpu0                                                                 56%         10%          0%
 1 cpu1                                                                 49%         11%          0%
 2 cpu2                                                                 33%         10%          0%
 3 cpu3                                                                 39%          4%          0%

To get something closer to the ideal 10G line speed, you'd want to run an external bandwidth test between high-powered hosts across 10G capable switches, not through a router's CPU. That means an arrangement like two PCs running iperf3 across two of the SFP+ ports of a CRS328 configured not to do any "routing" or clever L3 type stuff, with all of the hardware offloading features enabled. The last time I tried that with my CRS328, I believe I got something like 5G, not the full 10G over the same OM4 fiber.

olivier2831
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:57 pm

I would disable "Auto-Negotiation" and play with the Speeds on the Mikrotik.
My 2 cents:

Lately, I had unsuccessful experiences trying to (remotely) control the speed/rate between 2 Mikrotik devices connected through an SFP+ 10Gb/s module over a 25m Cat6A copper wire.
One of the two boxes had overheating issues and I couldn't lower the link speed to 1 or 2.5 Gb/s (it remained at 10 Gb/s).

From this experience, i told myself I would carefully test this specific subject before shipping anything.