Community discussions

MikroTik App

jamesharr
just joined
Topic Author

6RD performance and offload

Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:49 pm

Hello, I'm looking at purchasing a Mikrotik as a home router. My ISP (CenturyLink fiber) uses 6RD to deploy IPv6 at this point in time. Less than ideal, but it is what it is. V4 uplink is provided by dot1q encapsulation.

6RD uses SIT encapsulation (v6 over v4) and I'm wondering which platforms are capable of passing that at a respectable throughput.

So far I've tested with a unifi edge router poe. V4 was running at 930mbps but v6 using SIT only ran at 80-100mbps with the CPU pegged. V4 seems to be offloaded to hardware.

Oddly enough the Zyxel router CenturyLink provided performs pretty well. Same v4 performance. V6 was around 500mbps which is acceptable for my point of view. It might also have been limited by my setup, which was untuned iperf3 through to a Digital Ocean droplet.

The 6RD performance may have been limited to the 6rd gateway on CenturyLink's side too, who knows. Never the less, 500mbps is good enough and if I can get that then I'll be happy.

I've been eyeballing a hEX S for a home router. Does it offered 6RD/SIT performance of 500mbps or more? Anyone have experience using it? Any different recommendations?

Any information or experience stories are appreciated. Thanks in advance!