MikroTik App

nichky
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

ASK [caps-manager]

Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:47 am

Anyone know what caps-manager does?
Im using a CAPsMAN a lot. So maybe i'll find useful once i got idea what really this does
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Guntis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: ASK [caps-manager]

Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:16 am

With this option, you can make your DHCP server specify the CAPsMAN server, that your DHCP clients (caps) should connect to.

nichky
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:02 pm

i think that make more sense for local-forwarding

nichky
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:08 pm

no, sorry i think the other way around

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:33 pm

That setting is unrelated to local-forwarding or to any settings of the CAPsMAN-controlled operation. It just tells the DHCP server "if the client asks you for the address of a CAPsMAN server, tell it this value". Normally, the only clients to ask for this field (DHCP option) will be the CAPs themselves, not the wireless clients connected to those CAPs. A CAP by default searches for a CAPsMAN using L2 frames, but if no L2 path between the CAP and the CAPsMAN is available, or if you've got other reasons, you can specify a list of IP addresses on which a CAPsMAN is running to the CAP, either by manual configuration or using this DHCP server setting.

[me@myTik] > interface wireless cap print
enabled: yes
interfaces: wlan1,wlan2
certificate: none
lock-to-caps-man: no
discovery-interfaces:
caps-man-addresses: 192.168.250.1
caps-man-names:
caps-man-certificate-common-names:
bridge: mytestbridge
static-virtual: no

nichky
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:01 am

hi sindy

What you saying, that completely sense. What i'm getting confusion is:

- by using local-forwarding, any single CAP has vlan-id and that vlan has dhcp-server.
- im assuming that caps-man-addresses: 192.168.250.1 is the gateway ip of the CAPsMAN.
According to the i don't need to do dhcp-server on the cap, is that right?

i'm providien my config of my CAPsMAN and one cap.
Im wondering how you can put your config that you mentioned above

CAPsMAN

/caps-man configuration
add datapath.local-forwarding=yes datapath.vlan-id=101 datapath.vlan-mode=use-tag keepalive-frames=enabled max-sta-count=30 mode=ap multicast-helper=default name=\
    cAP-syd.wi-fi_02.vl101 rates=GN-Only-No-B security=wpa2.syd.wi-fi_vl101 ssid=Virtual*AP

CAP
/interface vlan
add interface=br-cap name=br.c.vl101 vlan-id=101

/ interface wireless cap pr
                            enabled: yes
                         interfaces: wlan1
                        certificate: none
                   lock-to-caps-man: no
               discovery-interfaces: br-v.vl99
                 caps-man-addresses: 
                     caps-man-names: cap.ovpn,office-Sydney
  caps-man-certificate-common-names: 
                             bridge: br-cap
                     static-virtual: yes

als also i got dhcp-server on vl101
in this particular config, got can use dhcp-caps-manager?

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:27 pm

To give you a practical example where that /ip dhcp-server network parameter is useful - imagine there is a CAPsMAN somewhere, there is a CAP somewhere else, and there is a DHCP server, from which the CAP gets its IP address and other configuration. And the CAP asks this DHCP server for a CAPsMAN address, which the DHCP server may provide.

So if the CAP can only reach the CAPsMAN via IP, you can simplify provisioning of CAPs by configuring the DHCP server to assign the CAPsMAN addresses this way, so you can provision the CAPs just using the reset button, so it will connect to the CAPsMAN address received this way.

The wireless clients of the CAP know nothing about the existence of the CAPsMAN, so the fact that there are other DHCP servers in the VLANs they land in is totally irrelevant to the fact that the DHCP server from which the CAP gets its own address.

In the example you've posted, both caps-man-names and discovery-interfaces are set. Leaving asside that it is strange to have both set, you must have configured them manually, i.e. you had to log in to the CAP and set its configuration.

nichky
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Sat Oct 02, 2021 12:20 am

i'm scared that will not fit i'm ny config. i got vlans between all devices. And i got local-forwarding for some reason.
That is most for bridged configuration. I'll play around
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

nichky
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:12 am

Thanks a lot sindy.
i got this working.

One noted here, my devices are getting ip-add, but i can't see it on lease, is that how it works?

jebote, kako detalno objasvis (ovi koi su staf,nemoze tako da urade ) svaka chas majstore, puno volim to sta radis!!

nichky
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:22 am

@Guntis

can you update the wiki, saying that this features does not work for local forwarding

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:52 am

can you update the wiki, saying that this features does not work for local forwarding
Again, the feature is totally unrelated to local forwarding. Local forwarding sets the way how the traffic to/from the wireless clients is handled by the CAP; this feature is how the CAP gets its own configuration.