Community discussions

MikroTik App

souljazk
just joined
Topic Author

3years no RouterOS updates - would you consider it compromised & replace the unit?

Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:50 pm

HI there,

I was recently referred to a new client, during my initial inspection I noticed the Mikrotik (951Ui) was running FW 6.43.2 (Sep 2018). This is an ISP provided unit that seemed to escape the ISP's 6-month checks for quite some time..

They (ISP) have since updated the router (remotely) to one of the 2021 FW's, but this does not sit well with me,. I air on the side of caution & have mentioned to them (ISP) that they should consider the router as compromised & replace it outright. They (ISP) seem to believe the router has never been compromised, something I struggle to believe due to the fact that the router was left unpatched for so long, despite being "managed".

I would love to hear from Mikrotik & the members on this forum.

Thank you!
Last edited by souljazk on Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: 3years no RouterOS updates - would you consider it compromised & replace the unit?

Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:06 pm

Yes, it should be netinstalled with the latest long term firmware, unless the client is a risk taker and absolutely needs wireguard 7.1bRC4

ConnyMercier
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: 3years no RouterOS updates - would you consider it compromised & replace the unit?

Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:12 pm

i concur with @anav,

You don't have to replace the device, just do a NetInstall!
It will Clear everything on the Device and install the Linux-kernel and ROUTEROS from scratch

souljazk
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:19 pm

@anav & @ConnyMercier

Thank you for your input! In my panic I totally forgot about Netinstall *face palm*. I'll share this with the ISP in question & ask that they comply with an onsite Netinstall.

BartoszP
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:05 pm

It's much easier for them to send you repalcement device already configured.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:26 pm

It's much easier for them to send you repalcement device already configured.
Do you mean configured by the Red Army or the ISP, same thing if in China ;-)