Community discussions

MikroTik App

bekkr
just joined
Topic Author

Block access to a printer

Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:44 am

Hello,

I've set up a network photo printer in our lan. Sometimes employees can print to this printer by mistake.
How can I configure access to this printer for only one person in our lan? I know the IP of the printer and I know the user's ip and his mac address.

Thank you!

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Block access to a printer

Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:39 am

Most logical way would be security group in Active Directory so only THAT person can see that printer.
Alternative (depending on printer): security on the printer itself ?

If it has to be done in Mikrotik, how I would do it:
Since you know the user MAC address - assign a fixed IP
And then it's only a matter of making a firewall rule (forward chain) from user IP to printer IP and drop everything else going to that printer IP.

If the printer allows direct printing via Wifi, make sure to disable that one as well (users can be very resourceful when they need to get around an obstacle).

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Block access to a printer

Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:05 pm

If the users are on the same LAN subnet as the printer, there is not much one can do.
The best move is to put the printer on a separate subnet or vlan.
Then make a firewall rule allowing access to the printer to those who are allowed access.

It appears that a few users on the LAN are not allowed in that case make a firewall address list of these not allowed users
add action=accept chain=forward in-interface=commonsubnet dst-address=IPofPrinter source-address-list=!not-allowed

If there are only a few that are allowed then
add action=accept chain=forward in-interface=commonsubnet dst-address=IPofPrinter source-address-list=authorizedUsers