Community discussions

MikroTik App

sipj
just joined
Topic Author

CHR Licence on replicated instance

Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:19 am

I have two Proxmox servers, primary and backup.
On the primary server I have installed a mikrotik with P10 license and whole disk is replicated to the backup server.

In case of failure of the primary server, I run mikrotik from replicated disk (with actual configuration) on the backup server,
but unfortunately the FREE license appears.
The license cannot be reactivated without disabling traffic because it is overwhelmed by normal traffic.

Is there any solution to start a new instance on another server with a correct licence?

olgale
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: CHR Licence on replicated instance

Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:08 am

Hello!

You can use license on one instance in one time. If you want to transfer the license from one CHR machine to another you must transfer the license on your MikroTik account (use button "Transfer" in "All CHR keys") and then run "system license renew" on your CHR machine. You can transfer the license as many times as needed but it should be done manually and second CHR should be registered on same MikroTik account. When you will register CHR on your account it will get Trial license with selected level. Trial license is valid for 60 days.
On other hand if you will have Trial license there is no need to transfer license every time as it will work with same speed as perpetual license. However after Trial ends you will not be able to upgrade ROS on the router with ended Trial license.
More about CHRs you can find here:
https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/pages/vi ... d=18350234

sipj
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:42 am

All of the above is clear.
BUT the problem is that all these operations will take x minutes and must be done by someone who understands mikrotik, licensing, etc. I am talking about a quick and easy way to run a backup to anyone over the phone, which would be possible in Proxmox with one click. If there was no problem with moving the license.

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:08 am

When a Mikrotik CHR ( with the license ) is moved to another location on the hypervisor or to another hypervisor ( either manually or by automatically ) the new spun-up CHR will no longer retain the original license.

There are two possible work-arounds options to retain the license ( for a CHR move ).
#1; Create a virtual hypervisor on you primary hypervisor. Install your CHR on the virtual hypervisor.
With this #1 method - you move the virtual hypervisor and spin it up. Any virtaul machines ( CHR ) running on the virtual hypervisor will still be there.
The disadvantage of this is everything is slower.

#2; I am not certain but I think this might work: Instead of using a CHR , try using an x86 ROS virtual router.
The x86-ROS router uses a different license system from the CHR-ROS router. This might keep the license.
A disadvantage of of x86-ROS is that it wants to be a 32-Bit system when installed and a CHR-ROS system wants to be a 64-Bit system ( both are almost identical ).
EDIT - also - I don't think x86-ROS supports para-virtual NICs ( aka 10-Gig vmnic anything ) which might limit you to a 1-Gig E1000e Nic.

IMO - I have dozens of CHRs in my network and the Mikrotik license system on those CHRs is a pain-in-the-azz when you move a CHR and don't check the license after the move :(
It's a pretty bad day when you move your CHR that is pushing 8+ gig throughput to another location and the CHR license suddenly defaults to ---gone--- and your now spun-up CHR can only push 1-Meg maximum :(

North Idaho Tom Jones

karlisi

Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:08 am

When a Mikrotik CHR ( with the license ) is moved to another location on the hypervisor or to another hypervisor ( either manually or by automatically ) the new spun-up CHR will no longer retain the original license.
I recently moved CHR from Xenserver host to xcp-ng pool (migrate, not copy), it remained licensed.

Halfeez92
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:40 am

I have two Proxmox servers, primary and backup.
On the primary server I have installed a mikrotik with P10 license and whole disk is replicated to the backup server.

In case of failure of the primary server, I run mikrotik from replicated disk (with actual configuration) on the backup server,
but unfortunately the FREE license appears.
The license cannot be reactivated without disabling traffic because it is overwhelmed by normal traffic.

Is there any solution to start a new instance on another server with a correct licence?
Make it as auto replicate every 60 days as the CHR license gives you 60 days of trial. You can schedule it to replicate every 2 month or a monthly, so that when it switch to backup VM, the licensse will be reset. If not, the license will just go on and will ended after 60 days. You just use it for backup right? You do not want the primary VM to be down for 60 days right?

krafg
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:48 pm

Hello!

You can use license on one instance in one time. If you want to transfer the license from one CHR machine to another you must transfer the license on your MikroTik account (use button "Transfer" in "All CHR keys") and then run "system license renew" on your CHR machine. You can transfer the license as many times as needed but it should be done manually and second CHR should be registered on same MikroTik account.
Thanks a lot for this information. I will start using EVE-NG for virtual labs testings. On some months more I will buy another P1 license for another CHR instance.

Edit: Bought!!! :D

Regards.

Zetle

Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:53 pm

I run PVE cluster with alot CHRs on it and migration works like a charm. No UUID changes.
Also possible workaround is to use Proxmox Backup Server and do a backup->restore. Also keeps the UUID of the VM and therefor the license.

volkswagner

Sun Nov 19, 2023 4:44 pm

This is an interesting scenario.

I'm working on a similar setup.

Using migration is good if you have shared storage.
In my case, both hypervisors in the pool use local
storage.

I'm still finalizing my plan, but I've settled on purchasing
two P10 licenses and have CHR on both hypervisors. I will
use a primary > secondary situation where I'll regularly export
my primary config and save it to the secondary router. The secondary
router will have a basic config that allows me to access the router.
If the primary host or router falls off, then I will run the "liveConfig.rsc"
export file to put the secondary router in service.

I would much rather have HA set up, but that's for another thread/feature
request ;)