Community discussions

MikroTik App

skuykend
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Android TV Remote problems

Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:23 am

Hi all, it had been a while since I updated my firmware (~6 months to a year and I can't remember exactly what version I was on before), I was set to long-term and updated to 6.48.4. A couple days later my android phone and tablet stopped being able to find my Nvidia Shield TV using the Android TV Remote app. Guessing the cached info expired and it had to research for the TV.

I went through a bunch of other troubleshooting to see if I could fix it issue, updated to 6.48.5 and then 6.49, but finally downgraded a bunch of my routers and switches from the CAP's back to the CCR router and CRS125 connected to the Shield to version 6.47.9 rebooted my Shield TV and the App was able to find it again and connect.

Hopefully this may help someone else, there seems to be something in the newer releases blocking whatever the Android remote services uses to advertise/locate the devices.

mada3k
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: Android TV Remote problems  [SOLVED]

Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:43 am

Most of these things (like Chromcast, Android TV, etc.) uses mDNS for discovery and thats related to Multicast. Make sure that the swtich or the AP doesn't block this or use IGMP snooping or something.

skuykend
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: Android TV Remote problems

Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:42 am

Most of these things (like Chromcast, Android TV, etc.) uses mDNS for discovery and thats related to Multicast. Make sure that the swtich or the AP doesn't block this or use IGMP snooping or something.
Thank you mda3k, some of my Bridges do have IGMP snooping set on them, perhaps an update caused it to start behaving differently and block mDNS after the upgrade. When I decide to update again I'll try making sure all of them are unchecked.

skuykend
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: Android TV Remote problems

Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:44 am

Finally got around to re-updating to 6.48.5, confirmed that the remote lost connection again, then went through and unchecked IGMP snooping on the bridges. Fixed!

Thanks again mada3k.