Community discussions

MikroTik App

JotaOS
just joined
Topic Author

LTE operator problem?

Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:15 am

Goodnight! I require your help as soon as possible

It turns out that I have problems with the LTE band, the parameters are perfect, the internet is going very well, even from one moment to another it changes the name of the mobile operator for a series of numbers and after this the internet starts to fail and it doesn't even give me nor 1mb of download speed ...

It seems strange to me because the connection parameters do not change (according to the tab), but the moment I observe that the name of the operator is changed by a series of numbers, the internet becomes terrible

I have a router: LHG LTE6 kit (ROW)

PD: I want to highlight that I have made the firmware change to the latest version and the problem continues

SiB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: LTE operator problem?

Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:51 pm

go to stable release of RouterOS, 6.48.1 now.
What's new in 6.48 (2020-Dec-22 11:20): *) lte - increased "at+cops" reply timeout to 90 seconds;

JotaOS
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:25 am

go to stable release of RouterOS, 6.48.1 now.
What's new in 6.48 (2020-Dec-22 11:20): *) lte - increased "at+cops" reply timeout to 90 seconds;
I have the latest version for a few weeks, but this did not solve anything!

Also, I have noticed an incredible loss of speed even though I do a band blocking, the speed decreases from one moment to another and I have to restart the modem from the system to have a high download speed! How can i fix this?

JotaOS
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:12 am

I have tried band blocking and it works for a few hours but then the problem returns .... I have also used some guides to "improve" this situation with the script

/interface lte at-chat lte1 input="AT*Cell=2,3,,37900,118"

Although in the console I have specified which cell to use, in the "Cellular" tab a different one appears

:if ([/ping 8.8.8.8 count=10 size=64 interval=2s]=0) do={
:log error "LTE DOWN";
/interface disable <interface>
/delay 1s
/interface enable <interface>
} else={
:log info "LTE FINE";
}

I have also tried some answers in other posts, and they have not served me at all =/

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=153622&hilit=watchdog#p767767

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=151492&hilit=watchdog#p768392

PD: What I have been able to notice is the change in the frequencies of the signal ... there is a change in cells and the EARFCN is reversed, that is, they are exchanged, if before the EARFCN 38100 used cell # 118, from one moment to another the EARFCN moves to cell # 127

this is an antenna software problem??

SiB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:23 pm

and after this the internet starts to fail and it doesn't even give me nor 1mb of download speed ...
I miss that part and I think your problem is only that Name of ISP not exist every time.
Although in the console I have specified which cell to use, in the "Cellular" tab a different one appears
This is strange and looks as some bug.
In my Poland networks I can connect only to that cell what I define in Cell Lock.

You discover in Cell Monitor that cells what are detected via direction & signals and.... that bands what are active at lte module but they can be only 2 at ones. Means, CellMonitor is suitable when you use one band. I do in my scripts action like "set band=1,2; cell-comonitor lte1;" and after that change bands to next one like "set band=3,7; cell-comonitor lte1;" and at every 2bands I scan air.
When we not use CellLock then CurrentCellID can be move to other antenna at the same or other tower. To log this moving try use: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=155945&p=821262#p821047
When we use CellLock then only this specific antenna at specific tower can be connected. Means you will get offline or connection.

JotaOS
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:46 pm

and after this the internet starts to fail and it doesn't even give me nor 1mb of download speed ...
I miss that part and I think your problem is only that Name of ISP not exist every time.
This is strange and looks as some bug.
In my Poland networks I can connect only to that cell what I define in Cell Lock.

You discover in Cell Monitor that cells what are detected via direction & signals and.... that bands what are active at lte module but they can be only 2 at ones. Means, CellMonitor is suitable when you use one band. I do in my scripts action like "set band=1,2; cell-comonitor lte1;" and after that change bands to next one like "set band=3,7; cell-comonitor lte1;" and at every 2bands I scan air.
When we not use CellLock then CurrentCellID can be move to other antenna at the same or other tower. To log this moving try use: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=155945&p=821262#p821047
When we use CellLock then only this specific antenna at specific tower can be connected. Means you will get offline or connection.

This is what I can see in the lte log with the bands locked to only one (using the command /interface lte at-chat lte1 input="AT*Cell=2,3,,37900,118")

Another problem I have with the winbox is that I have never been able to download the .log file correctly, whenever I want to see the log on my desktop to be able to see it with the notes blog, the file does not have any content written inside (it is in White)

I understand that having control of the blocked bands I can only connect to that band and that is what I want, since a single frequency in a certain physical cell is the one that gives me the desired speed, but that cell changes from one moment to another from EARFCN and it leaves me without internet or it puts me in a terrible state where I can not even download at 100kbs, although it is the same antenna, since it comes from the same physical cell and has the same RSRQ and SINR parameters, so I have to disable the band lock command (cell + EARFCN) and then reactivate it but with the new EARFCN ........

PD: I'm going to disable the lock command and in a few hours I'll be back with the .log results.

JotaOS
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:23 pm

I have deactivated the band blocking and this was the result during the connection, although it seems it was made to the same cell that I made the blocking, so I don't think that there is a different reference in the log

what if it has happened is the same as always, when restarting the connection the internet returns to a high speed, I have been using your script to cancel the inactivity and apparently this has not served at all

and now as you can see in the image below you will notice that the EARFCN of cell # 118 has been changed (which is the one I use for cell lock), this is a constant problem that got me sick

Before (Yesterday)

Later (Today)

Is this really possible? that an internet provider company can rotate the frequencies and cells?

JotaOS
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:46 am

HELP ME

I am very tired of having to restart the mikrotik from time to time to get my internet speed back to high, otherwise it is limited to a download speed of no more than 50kbs and restarting it is the only thing that "solves" the problem but it's only for a short period of time, then I have to restart the mikrotik again ... I'm really giving up and now I'm feeling like the mikrotik antennas are useless

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:54 pm

Unfortunately it's hard to judge whether it is a single-piece hardware fault of your LTE modem or a firmware bug. The fact that the operator name changes into a 6-digit number means something is terribly wrong, because the number would have to be a 5-digit one if it was just a minor issue of not translating the MNC (in the ccc-oo format where ccc is country code and oo is operator (network) code) into a network name properly. Also the fact that the mapping between frequency and sector ID changes indicates a problem with RAM or with software.

So I'd definitely recommend to raise a warranty claim with whoever has sold the LHG-R to you. What you experience is not normal.

FezzFest
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:37 pm

@sindy: There's nothing going 'terribly wrong', it's just a translation error. Some countries use a 3-digit MNC (mobile network code) and MCC-MNC 732-716 matches DirecTV Colombia.

@JotaOS: What is happening with the changing EARFCN is weird. An EARFCN of 38100 indicates a center frequency of 2605MHz (2.605GHz). An EARFCN of 37900 indicates a center frequency of 2585MHz (2.585GHz). In most countries, government allows a telecom operator to acquire a license for a specific frequency for a duration of 5-10 years. This frequency definitely should not change every 10 minutes.

JotaOS
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:47 am

Unfortunately it's hard to judge whether it is a single-piece hardware fault of your LTE modem or a firmware bug. The fact that the operator name changes into a 6-digit number means something is terribly wrong, because the number would have to be a 5-digit one if it was just a minor issue of not translating the MNC (in the ccc-oo format where ccc is country code and oo is operator (network) code) into a network name properly. Also the fact that the mapping between frequency and sector ID changes indicates a problem with RAM or with software.

So I'd definitely recommend to raise a warranty claim with whoever has sold the LHG-R to you. What you experience is not normal.
How can I know the health of my lte antenna? because the command / system health print or / system health set (they do not work for my LHG LTE6 kit-MIPSBE)

Although I have started to notice since I update the firmware of the equipment that my router restarts every few hours (more or less every 11 hours), but the problem of the decrease in my internet speed has always been the same, from the first day who applied my sim card, tried with infinite script to maintain a false activity in my router but nothing, also tried to update the 3 types of firmware (lte, OS, winbox) possible from mikrotik and they did not serve me at all!

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:24 am

the command / system health print or / system health set (they do not work for my LHG LTE6 kit-MIPSBE)
This command only reports temperature, power supply voltage etc. on higher grade models, which support measurement of these values in hardware. It says nothing about hardware failures (like memory issues) even on those models.

also tried to update the 3 types of firmware (lte, OS, winbox)
So what do the following commands output currently?

/system resource print
/system routerboard print
/system check-installation
/interface lte firmware-upgrade [find] upgrade=no

The LTE modem is a plugin module and is quite autonomous; RouterOS retrieves the values displayed using /interface lte info from it using AT commands. So also the translation of the MCC+MNC value to text is done by the LTE modem itself:

[me@myTik] > /interface lte at-chat [find] input="AT+COPS\?"
output: +COPS: (0,0,"operator-name",7,0),(0,0,"operator-name",7,0)

Hence it is most likely that the issue is in the modem module itself; whether it is a manufacturing fault (hardware issue of that single piece) or a software one is hard to say and it cannot be determined having just a single device to test with.

The hardware design of the Routerboard allows to script a brutal workaround of your issue: whenever it appears (which in your case seems to be indicated by the change of the current-operator value from to DIRECTVCO to 732716), you can power-cycle the LTE modem. I have to do this with various types of non-Mikrotik 3G and LTE modems that hang occasionally and no firmware upgrade can be expected for them.

The command is /system routerboard usb power-reset bus=N duration=10s. You have to find the correct N value by trying, I couldn't find how to determine the bus number using any information provided by RouterOS, and it depends on the RB model and PCIe slot where the modem is located.

So the script would look something like
:if ([:len [/interface lte find name=lte1]] > 0) do={
  :local curOp ([/interface lte info [find name=lte1] once as-value]->"current-operator")
  :if ($curOp = "732716") do={
    /system routerboard usb power-reset bus=1 duration=10s
  }
}

You would schedule this script to run every minute. But as said, it is a workaround, not a solution.

SiB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:28 am

JotaOS
Is this really possible? that an internet provider company can rotate the frequencies and cells?
This two Bands at the same PCI can be normal stuff.
Some ISP have few frequency for the same Band, example B66+B66+B66 can be aggregated that way.
Old picture who show that
Inter-Intra.jpg
Cell Monitor not show us that information, but this is in CLI.

/interface lte at-chat lte1 input="at+eemginfo\?"
Check logs for the results like
opera_klxpHcj4lP.png
by commands:
#Activation LTE logs to separate facility in memory
/system logging action add memory-lines=10000 name=lte target=memory
/system logging add action=lte prefix=SXTR__LTE topics=lte
# Print only new Intra|Inter message from now, by:
/log print follow-only where message~"INTER|INTRA"

BTW, I think you should write to support@mikrotik.com because your problem is not a configuration and we at forum cannot help you and only vendor can solve that at ones !.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ferrograph
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:31 pm

I feel your pain. I started writing up my experience here but then decided to start a new topic listing all the issues Ive had and frustration at support blaming the tower.

viewtopic.php?t=179722