MikroTik App

Rockyboa
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Audience mesh setup problem

Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:56 am

Hi Mikrotik Forum.

I order a couple of Audience to understand meshing technology by studying the default configuration of Audience and learning WDS / Mesh from this experience (more on that later). As usual, I first updated my firmware on all my 3 units to the latest stable 6.49. I then proceed to a firmware upgrade and finally reset to default configuration. When the unit rebooted I cut paste the default script for further analysis.

I connected a unit to the internet and the first unit configured itself without issue. I can see a CAPsMAN configuration there, and some WPS automation. My issue started when I tried to add second unit in the Audience mesh. Using the sync button technique I could sync the two units and the light turned green, meaning that both unit are participating in the Audience network. But winbox would never see the second unit unless I hook an ehternet cable to it.

So I decide to try 7.1rc6, firm up and reset default on both. Then try the button for the syncing. But they seems not to be working in this firmware, the LED would not change color and I was not able to pair them.

So decided to go with 6.48.5, firm up, reset. Sync and still no sign of the second unit, even though the light were both green. So decided to have a deeper look in this confiuguration. I noticed that CAPsMAN was not provisioning the second unit radios. and no IP was given to the second unit. I know that layer 1 link is sufficient (even wifi?) meaning an IP address on the second unit is not required for CAPsMAN.

So I decided to add wlan3 to the brige in the unit 1 and then got an IP and radio provisioning on the second unit. But still no meshing / WDS. So I had a deeper look to the script and found nothjing on that matter.

So is this meshing Audience technology a CAPsMAN wifi roaming config only?! I saw some presentation on why meshing is better and faster on switching device over a wifi and really, I was believing that it would be part of the default config of the Audience. Maybe the config script in 6.48.5, 6.49 and 7.1rc6 are not suitable for the Audience, actually it wasn't working before I added wlan on the bridge of the first unit.

Martin

hecatae
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Audience mesh setup problem

Tue May 10, 2022 10:06 pm

Did you get this resolved?