Community discussions

MikroTik App

mikronewb20
just joined
Topic Author

RDP Block

Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:41 pm

So, for some unknown reason, the router i've just come to manage, some lunatic has set it to have port 3889 open to the world.....
I've therefor setup a vpn, and i'm moving people over to it. However, there are 2 people currently working through rdp that I cannot get hold of, so what I want to do is just start blocking off the IP addresses of people i've already switched over so that their computer is no longer accessible via rdp.

I put in place
Chain=Input
Dst Address= (address of computer on site)
Dst Port= 3389
Action= Drop

I thought this would just block that particular computer from being accessed.

Then once i got hold of the other 2 people, i could remove the open to the world rdp rule completely, but for now this is a quick fix.

However........it doesnt block it.

Is the other rule overriding it?

jvanhambelgium
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: RDP Block

Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:54 pm

So, for some unknown reason, the router i've just come to manage, some lunatic has set it to have port 3889 open to the world.....
I've therefor setup a vpn, and i'm moving people over to it. However, there are 2 people currently working through rdp that I cannot get hold of, so what I want to do is just start blocking off the IP addresses of people i've already switched over so that their computer is no longer accessible via rdp.

I put in place
Chain=Input
Dst Port= 3389
Action= Drop
Then once i got hold of the other 2 people, i could remove the open to the world rdp rule completely, but for now this is a quick fix.
FORWARD chain! You want to block traffic THROUGH the router, not targetted at the router!
And offcourse the PLACEMENT of this rule is important too, you can always put it all the way on the top and watch the counters.

mikronewb20
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:16 pm

I put in place
Chain=Input
Dst Port= 3389
Action= Drop
FORWARD chain! You want to block traffic THROUGH the router, not targetted at the router!
And offcourse the PLACEMENT of this rule is important too, you can always put it all the way on the top and watch the counters.
I've tried this, and put it as forward but its still allowing me to connect to that specific ip from outside the network via rdp........

ConnyMercier
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:01 pm

Can you please share the config of your Mikrotik devices.
/export hide-sensitive file=anynameyoulike

jvanhambelgium
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:03 pm

I've tried this, and put it as forward but its still allowing me to connect to that specific ip from outside the network via rdp........
Did you place the rule on the top of the chain too ??

tomislav91

Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:28 pm

if you work with bridge interfaces, that you must enable ip firewall on the bridge itself
testt.png
so, command like this
/interface bridge filter add chain=forward mac-protocol=ip ip-protocol=tcp dst-address=yourIP/32 dst-port=3389 action=drop
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.