Community discussions

MikroTik App

Dixit
Topic Author

VLAN configuration for Wireless Wire RBwAPG-60ad units

Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:24 pm

I have a pair of these we got for a wireless link between two buildings that are not even 600ft apart line of sight.

I set them up for VLAN10 for the management interface on it (which I think I did right). I basically created a VLAN10, assigned it to ether1. Then created an IPaddress and assigned that to VLAN10 that was created. I have the port on the switch (which is an Alcatel switch) as a trunk port. So with it sending vlan10, I can remote into that off a different vlan just fine. So all good there.

What I cant get working is the other unit. I had the same setup on that one, but I cannot access that other one even though it shows its linked wirelessly and 90% signal strength. What am I missing on that?

Ultimately the plan is to have these simply act as a trunk between two buildings and the ports they are on are trunk ports on the switch, so it will be passing the necessary VLAN tags needed. Thats why I set the VLAN10 on the Mikrotiks so I can at least manage them on our VLAN10 management network. Then we have about 10 other VLANs that are setup on that trunk port to accept like VLAN5, 10, 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, 45, 50 as an example.

Besides what I have mentioned the only change I did to the default config on the Mikrotik was enable that VLAN10 and give it an IP. I thought that would be enough to get across and get connected.

tdw
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: VLAN configuration for Wireless Wire RBwAPG-60ad units

Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:50 pm

Any /interface vlan should be attached to the bridge, not member ports of the bridge.

Dixit
Topic Author

Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:32 am

Any /interface vlan should be attached to the bridge, not member ports of the bridge.
Appreciate it, that did it.
Initially I noticed one of them had VLAN1 set to ether1 so thats why i thought i might as well follow suit on it when i created VLAN10. But good to know only use bridge.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:17 am

VLAN 1 is (implicit) default setting all over. So you a) should not take it as rule to follow and b) should stay well away from using it in your (explicit) configuration.