Community discussions

MikroTik App

danergo
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Use IPSec Peer's ID in firewall rule condition?

Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:14 pm

Hi!

I'm having multiple IPSec "Active Peers", and they are all getting their dynamic IPs from a shared pool.
There is a way to differentiate them, by checking their ID, based on that it's obvious on which IP belongs to which client.

Can I somehow add the Peer ID to firewall rules (mangles)? I.e. mangling only those packets which are sourcing from this XY IPSec peer ID?

Or I have to use some scripts to check the active peers' ids, and modify my mangle (/ update a firewall address list)?

(Can I ask MikroTik to run my script after an IPSec connection is established / disconnected?)

Thank you!

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Use IPSec Peer's ID in firewall rule condition?

Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:43 pm

No and no. The only thing related to IPsec you can use to match in firewall rules is whether a packet matches any existing IPsec policy. Nor is there a possibility to trigger a script when peer activity state changes, or at least to add the IP address assigned to a peer with mode-config=request-only to an address-list, like with /ppp profile or /ip dhcp lease. So a scheduled script is the only way.

danergo
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:47 pm

Thank you Sindy!

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:47 pm

You have not completely described your setup. For plain IPsec it is as sindy describes, but when you use L2TP/IPsec you can do such things in PPP profiles.
E.g. I use a PPP profile that puts some of the client interfaces in an interface list, based on the profile selected for each client secret.
You can then use the interface list membership in a firewall rule.

I always prefer to use some form of tunnel (L2TP, GRE) on top of IPsec.

danergo
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:57 pm

I have plain IPSec, sorry for that - it was a common fact between Sindy and me.

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:01 pm

On the other hand, since both ends are in your own hands, it is relatively easy for you to migrate to what @pe1chl proposes.