Community discussions

MikroTik App

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

IPv6 Mikrotik's SLAAC - DHCPv6 ( asking for some help )

Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:25 pm

I am having one heck of a time trying to get Mikrotik's IPv6 DHCP server working.

IPv4-DHCP is soooo easy and IPv6-DHCP is soooo different & hard - they are two completely different animals.

I know how to do static IPv6 address and IPv6 routes - no problems.

What is not clear to me on IPv6-DHCP is the following:
- Does an IPv6 Pool need to be part of the network on my LAN or does RA ( router advertisements ) take care of that for me ?
- I am having difficulty understanding the relationships with IPv6-Network ( my IPv6 LAN ) and IPv6-DHCP-Pool-Prefix and IPv6-DHCP-Pool-Prefix-Length and IPv6-DHCP-Allow-Dual-Stack-Queue and IPv6-ND.

Does anybody have a URL to some step-by-step instructions ( or better yet a video ) , showing everything to get a Mikrotik IPv6 DHCP server working ?

Question is the Mikrotik IPv6 DHCP server only a DHCP server or is it also a IPv6 SLAAC server ?

help - pulling my hair out trying to find clear easy to follow step-by-step instructions

North Idaho Tom Jones

FYI - I wish Mikrotik would add a dedicated IPv6 section to their forums where only IPv6 related topics can be discussed. Right now - Mikrotik IPv6 topics are anywhere and nowhere.

Paternot
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: IPv6 Mikrotik's SLAAC - DHCPv6 ( asking for some help )

Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:53 am

What is not clear to me on IPv6-DHCP is the following:
- Does an IPv6 Pool need to be part of the network on my LAN or does RA ( router advertisements ) take care of that for me ?
- I am having difficulty understanding the relationships with IPv6-Network ( my IPv6 LAN ) and IPv6-DHCP-Pool-Prefix and IPv6-DHCP-Pool-Prefix-Length and IPv6-DHCP-Allow-Dual-Stack-Queue and IPv6-ND.
Pool prefix is the size of the entire pool. Let's say fd06:4310:5497::/48. This would be the whole range of IPv6 addresses allocated to you by, say, your ISP.
Prefix length is the size of the range You will serve to each client. Let's say /56.
In this case you have the fd06:4310:5497::/48 carved up on 16 /56 subnets. So, you can have 16 clients connected, each of them getting a /52 from your fd06:4310:5497::/48.

"Does an IPv6 Pool need to be part of the network on my LAN or does RA ( router advertisements ) take care of that for me ?"
That I don't know. Strictly speaking, your interface doesn't NEED anything beyond an IPv6 link local address, if You only want to route packets. I "think" it doesn't have to be part - but I'm not sure.

DarkNate
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:57 pm

Why do you require DHCPv6 server to begin with? Are you an ISP or Service Provider? What is the prefix size you got from your ISP?

IPv6 is generally meant to be stateless for the end user. I'm sure you have Android devices, right? Well read this: https://www.nullzero.co.uk/android-does ... -fix-that/

What you generally should do is using SLAAC/RADVD aka stateless IPv6 completely and correctly.

The steps are simple, something like this:
###Requests prefix from upstream###
/ipv6 dhcp-client
add add-default-route=yes interface=pppoe-out1 pool-name="Public-IPv6 Pool" rapid-commit=no request=prefix use-peer-dns=no
###Assinging prefix from upstream to local address pool for use in LAN###
/ipv6 address
add from-pool="Public-IPv6 Pool" interface=bridge
###My personal config for ND/RADVD/SLAAC, you can modify the values as per your requirements, I prefer short RA interval to speed up discovery on my clients###
/ipv6 nd
set [ find default=yes ] advertise-dns=yes interface=bridge ra-interval=30s-2m
###Short lifetime values for the assigned IPv6 address to mitigate dynamic IPv6 from upstream###
/ipv6 nd prefix default
set preferred-lifetime=1m30s valid-lifetime=4m
That's it

lake6kn
just joined

Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:18 pm

FYI - I wish Mikrotik would add a dedicated IPv6 section to their forums where only IPv6 related topics can be discussed. Right now - Mikrotik IPv6 topics are anywhere and nowhere.
+100

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:14 pm

+100
+100.9

mtik9user
just joined

Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:03 am

Thanks for this post. This works like a charm in my hexS.
But when I try this in my RB5009 it is stuck in searching.
Has anything changed in ROSv7?

Also a side question, will I be able to connect both hexS and RB5009 via a switch (ISP side) to get both working at the same time?
ISP assigned me a /48 via a /64 for the router.
Why do you require DHCPv6 server to begin with? Are you an ISP or Service Provider? What is the prefix size you got from your ISP?

IPv6 is generally meant to be stateless for the end user. I'm sure you have Android devices, right? Well read this: https://www.nullzero.co.uk/android-does ... -fix-that/

What you generally should do is using SLAAC/RADVD aka stateless IPv6 completely and correctly.

The steps are simple, something like this:
###Requests prefix from upstream###
/ipv6 dhcp-client
add add-default-route=yes interface=pppoe-out1 pool-name="Public-IPv6 Pool" rapid-commit=no request=prefix use-peer-dns=no
###Assinging prefix from upstream to local address pool for use in LAN###
/ipv6 address
add from-pool="Public-IPv6 Pool" interface=bridge
###My personal config for ND/RADVD/SLAAC, you can modify the values as per your requirements, I prefer short RA interval to speed up discovery on my clients###
/ipv6 nd
set [ find default=yes ] advertise-dns=yes interface=bridge ra-interval=30s-2m
###Short lifetime values for the assigned IPv6 address to mitigate dynamic IPv6 from upstream###
/ipv6 nd prefix default
set preferred-lifetime=1m30s valid-lifetime=4m
That's it