Community discussions

MikroTik App

kaherdin
Topic Author

Basic setup of a hEX RB750Gr3

Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:56 am

Hi everyone!
I'm struggling a bit with this, but it should be quite simple...

This is what I want to achieve;
A home network that;
1. uses the hEX RB750Gr3 as DHCP server
2. the hEX RB750Gr3 uses the PiHole as it's only primary DNS
3. the hEX RB750Gr3 will have a couple of reserved IP address (Pihole Server, Home Assistant Server, Wifi IoT lights etc)

When I start the hEX RB750Gr3, I use the Quick settings and set the hEX RB750Gr3 IP adress to 10.0.0.1, the DHCP range to 10.0.0.100-10.0.0.254. I enable NAT filtering.
Then i reboot the hEX RB750Gr3. I then connect the switch.
Now the leases start to populate with my devices - Great!

The issue 1
But the devices are not given access to the internet.
- Why...?

Issue 2
- How can I properly set DNS requests to the Pihole. Lets say that the Pihole is assigned 10.0.0.31?
And later, how can I set the Pihole to be "local DNS Server" to be able to see the specific IP addresses that query the Pihole, instead of just seeing the hEX RB750Gr3 IP adress as querying?

I'm attaching a network schematic to further help You, help me.
All help is gratefully received
HOME NETWORK - Network diagram example (1).png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Basic setup of a hEX RB750Gr3

Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:49 pm

Quick set has some options to choose from (only option "ethernet" AFAIK).
There are multiple modes router-bridge
If the hEX can access internet, so should the devices be able to do it. In "router" mode the hEX is probably doing NAT for the whole subnet towards the "WAN interface list" interfaces.

"Quickset is not very informative on what it actually does set, and it will brute force overwrite your own detailed settings"

Direct use of the PiHole as DNS server? Just enter it's IP address as information in the IP -> DHCP server -> Networks -> DNS servers

kaherdin
Topic Author

Re: Basic setup of a hEX RB750Gr3  [SOLVED]

Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:46 am

hEX
RouterOS 6.49.1
RB750Gr3

I use a laptop - USB to ethernet adaptor - ethernet cable - hEX

What I did
I started with a Reset of configuration
It reboots
In Winbox; I see the mac address. I connect to the hEX. Now the initial setup has given me the ip range 192.168.88.1.
I run Quick Settings, at the top left. I set it to Router, Auto IP (from ISP), I set the IP address for the router to 10.0.0.1 and the DHCP range to 10.0.0.100-10.0.0.200.

Reboot hEX
Reboot laptop
Disable the USB to ethernet adaptor in Network settings (Win11). Enable it again.

did a cmd ipconfig -all
did a cmd ipconfig -renew

The issue now
The ipconfig -all shows that the given DNS is set to 192.168.88.1

To mitigate this I did this
IP\DHCP Server\Network\DNS Servers
set to 10.0.0.1

Effect
All devices on network is given internet access

Question
Is this wrong?

spynappels
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Basic setup of a hEX RB750Gr3

Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:38 pm

Question
Is this wrong?
Not if you want all devices to have internet access... :-)
From your diagram you appear to be looking to create a flat network. Having a single DHCP Server and IP subnet is the easiest way to achieve that.
If you want to limit access to the Internet or other hosts of some devices, you can simply go down the firewall filter route, although that would only be effective if you either set these devices with a static IP or a static DHCP lease so that they will always have the same IP and the rules don't need to be continually adjusted.