Community discussions

MikroTik App

burhanafridi603
just joined
Topic Author

IPv6 Issue Need Help

Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:56 pm

Hello Everyone

Please check the Attached Picture .I have a weird Issue with IPv6. I have a SAP server running on IPV4 and IPv6 Link Local Address in LAN 1. I cannot ping IPv6 Link Local Address of SAP server from LAN 3 which is on 172.17.0.0/16, However it is accessible from LAN 2 which is 192.168.10.0/24 network .LAN 1 and LAN 2 share the same switch.

I want Expert Opinion on this. what should i do on Mikrotik to Enable ping or access SAP Server on Link Local Address using IPV6 from LAN 3. I can access SAP server from LAN 3 using IPv4 but I need to access it using IPv6 also. Otherwise SAP won't run.

Firewall is Clean no rule is configured, so I know firewall is not the issue.

Thanks in Advance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by burhanafridi603 on Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: IPv6 Issue Need Help

Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:36 pm

You should assign and publish addresses on each LAN interface so they can be routed between the networks. Link local addresses are not routable.

burhanafridi603
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:58 pm

You should assign and publish addresses on each LAN interface so they can be routed between the networks. Link local addresses are not routable.
I have IPv4 running on LAN1, LAN2 and LAN3. SAP server is also using IPV4 and it is accessible from LAN3 using IPv4 , But I need IPv6 IP of SAP Server to be accessible from LAN 3 otherwise SAP server would not run from LAN 3.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:15 pm

Link-local addresses are in principle non-routable so they are only accessible inside same L2 network (ethernet). LAN3 is behind the router but LAN2 is likely not ... depending on how switch connected to server is configured. If it's configured with VLANs then that (if configured properly) would block direct connectivity between LAN2 and server. However if switch is a dumb switch, then server and LAN2 are not separated on ethernet level and thus server's link-local IPv6 address is accessible from LAN2 clients.

So if you need IPv6 connectivity between LAN3 and server, you'll have to start with some explicit IPv6 address configuration on router ... which would make LAN2 and LAN3 distinct IPv6 subnets as well ... and router would know how to route between them. Then you'll have to use some scheme (SLAAC, DHCPv6, static addressing) to assign appropriate IPv6 addresses to all devices involved.

IPv4 networks are completely unrelated to IPv6 ... the only relation is lower layer boundaries (that's L2 - ethernet). It doesn't matter if you already have well defined IPv4 subnets, you have to do similar job for IPv6.

burhanafridi603
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:32 am

Link-local addresses are in principle non-routable so they are only accessible inside same L2 network (ethernet). LAN3 is behind the router but LAN2 is likely not ... depending on how switch connected to server is configured. If it's configured with VLANs then that (if configured properly) would block direct connectivity between LAN2 and server. However if switch is a dumb switch, then server and LAN2 are not separated on ethernet level and thus server's link-local IPv6 address is accessible from LAN2 clients.

So if you need IPv6 connectivity between LAN3 and server, you'll have to start with some explicit IPv6 address configuration on router ... which would make LAN2 and LAN3 distinct IPv6 subnets as well ... and router would know how to route between them. Then you'll have to use some scheme (SLAAC, DHCPv6, static addressing) to assign appropriate IPv6 addresses to all devices involved.

IPv4 networks are completely unrelated to IPv6 ... the only relation is lower layer boundaries (that's L2 - ethernet). It doesn't matter if you already have well defined IPv4 subnets, you have to do similar job for IPv6.

Thanks a lot that's well explained