Community discussions

MikroTik App

dk42
just joined
Topic Author

Can't get »Using RouterOS to VLAN your network« up and running

Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:05 pm

Hi*
i have a working setup – but besides to never touch a running system – i wanted to setup a proper network with VLAN for private/guest/management as described in the thread
viewtopic.php?t=143620#p706997

schema is as following:
Cablemodem -> HeXs -> CRS318-NetP16 -> Patchpanel

So i started with the switch, entering every command as writen in the switch.rsc.
Yes, i started with /system reset-configuration

but as soon as i entered the last command
#######################################
# Turn on VLAN mode
/interface bridge set BR1 vlan-filtering=yes
i got kicked out of the session an never found the switch again in my network, not via winbox nor via pingscanning the mikrotik net (xxx.xxx.88.xxx), the management lan (xxx.xxx.0.xxx), or my existing net.
Okay, so i thought maybe i have to configure the router to get it working, but i hit the same state:
After entering the last command
# Turn on VLAN mode
/interface bridge set BR1 vlan-filtering=yes
i got kicked out and didn't see the device anymore.
okay. bad.

I reseted everything and started with the router.
Same result. Kicked out. I don't see the device and don't get an IP via dhcp.

Went directly to the Router and plugged in a cable in a free port.
Nothing. I don't see the device and don't get an IP via dhcp.

I reduced the example to ONE Vlan --> nothing. I don't see the device and don't get an IP via dhcp.

Some hours later i reverted to the old configuration by restoring the backup. So now i'm here again and clueless as never before.
I thought i read AND understood the example, but i am missing something and i don't get it.
I thought this was an working example, or do i have to alter something to get it working?
I just don't know what i did wrong and feel a little stupid :\

Any hints? thank yo

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Can't get »Using RouterOS to VLAN your network« up and running

Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:29 am

Yes, the router kicks one out but it should have saved the good configuration if not,
I have resorted to taking any unused or make a port available.
Off the bridge
give it an IP address of 192.168.5.2 with network 192.168.5.0

Ensure its added to the same enterface list member
as that identified by
macserver winmacserver interface=

Also if you have an input chain rule narrowing down lan access further ensure the ethernet port is added to the list.

Attach laptop to that port and use an IPv4 address of lets say 192.168.5.5
Then you can make the changes from that port and should not get kicked out and if you do easily regain access.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:36 am

When you perform L2 reconfiguration (bridge, VLAN, ...), it is normal to loose management connection. But if things are configured correctly, you should be able to reconnect.
Next time you start to configure stuff, remove one ether port from bridge (or don't add it to bridge if you start from completely void config) and use that port t connect for management purposes (you might want to add DHCP server and IP setup directly to that port ... at least temporarily until you get things going on other ports) ... or simply use winbox MAC connection on that port. If thinks go haywire, device will not kick you out because the rest of config will not touch the port you're using to perform configuration.

There are two things to be careful about:
  1. if you're using IP connectivity, it is important to have IP setup (IP addressing, firewall) correct. Also interface-list ... management connections are normally allowed from LAN interface-list and you have to add appropriate VLAN interface to that list. Or if using dedicated management port, that port has to be added to LAN interface-list
  2. if you're using MAC connectivity, it is vital to check settings under /tool mac-server, if anything is set there MAC connectivity will be filtered according to settings. Default setup again uses LAN interface list

dk42
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:18 pm

@anav @mkx
thanks for your quick and supportive answers!
So i learned that i should setup an emergency port for the case of an locked out situation.

What i still don't understand – maybe I'm getting something completely wrong – i followed the instructions in the thread step by step but at the end i was not able to connect to my freshly created network. Why? What am i missing? :?
I'm afraid, that when i try it again – with your advices taken into account – i end up in the same situation: can't get an IP via DHCP when connecting to the new net (but with emergency access via the separated port, which would be an advancement ;) )

What i expected was, that i plug a network cable into a GREEN Port and get an IP from GREEN POOL via DHCP. No?

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:49 pm

It's hard to say what went wrong. With rescue pirt you will be able to dump actual device configuration (using /export from terminal window) at the moment of failure and we might advise how to solve the problem.

dk42
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:59 pm

It's hard to say what went wrong. With rescue pirt you will be able to dump actual device configuration (using /export from terminal window) at the moment of failure and we might advise how to solve the problem.
understood.

so i'll plan a "maintainance window" for the home network (there are some teenagers involved here, and a non working wifi is always…well…i have to explain :lol: ),
then I try again with the example from »Using RouterOS to VLAN your network« and report back. Might not be this weekend, so. :)
thanks again!

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:14 am

Take your time, been there exactly.
I too experienced this phenomena but I just trusted that when the router restarted it the new settings would stick.
Not sure why its being ornery in your case.
Thats why I suggest the alternate location for accessing the router, it wont matter what state the bridge is in........