Community discussions

MikroTik App

TheIBM
just joined
Topic Author

Removing MKController

Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:07 pm

An error in the log reads: script, info MKController status check ERROR - dns not working

After some fruitless digging I realised I had installed the MKController to test and had later uninstalled the application. However it appears there is some residual code running that I can't seem to remove! There are also no scripts running to identify what or where this is !

Having made a number of DNS changes setting the servers to both to static and to fixed the above error still pops up in the logs every 30 seconds or so. I disabled remote requests and then removed all DNS entries and still see the same error. Filters are set to drop port 53 from external (WAN). Then I realised this isn't DNS rather something to do with the MK Controller application that hasn't been disabled.

Anyone with any ideas as to how to proceed?

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Removing MKController

Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:35 pm

I don't think MKcontroller has any affiliation with mikrotik ... so you should seek advice from MKcontroller.

TheIBM
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Removing MKController

Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:28 pm

A bit of digging on the MKController website was no help and trying to obtain support from them is somewhat fraught as they only operate 9 - 5 Brasilia time - That itself ought to be a cautionary warning to anyone thinking of using their MKController! I've reached out to them to no avail.

Further digging found a line in firewall filter that was removed but still have the issue.

Backup and restore seems to be the way forward.

After taking a backup I ran an update and the script was still running. So I examined the backup file and searched for MKController to discover the rogue code. Another bit of digging lead me to check the scheduler and there was the rogue script.

Script removed and problem solved. Don't forget to remove the VPN & filter entries as well!

Problem solved