Community discussions

MikroTik App

olivier2831
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

How to connect to CCR1009 through serial/USB cable ?

Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:24 pm

Hello,

I'm trying to connect to a 6.48.6 powered CCR1009 through a serial/USB cable.

I'm trying to connect through a:
- a Linux-enabled laptop (some variant of Ubuntu)
- a serial to USB cable
- and CuteCom app.

As I'm not familiar at all with serial/console connection, it's quite possible that I wouldn't be able to detect enormous errors (defective serial cable, access rights on laptop, ...).

0. When I plug the serial cable on, dmesg print a message ending with "device converter now attached to ttyUSB0".
Is it correct to suppose the device I have to use is /dev/ttyUSB0 ?

1. Are the settings bellow correct ? I found them in [1] but I'm not sure they apply to CCR1009.
Baudrate: 115200, Data bits: 8, Flow control: None, Parity: None, Mode: read/write, Stop bits: 1

2. If I ever set the correct values, what shall I enter in CuteCom Input field to get routerOS CLI ?
Shall I keep LF for ending lines or change this top CR, CR/LF, None or Hex ?
At tyhe moement, anything I type is echoed on screen but nothing comes from the device.

3. Is it correct to think that if I reboot a RouterOS device with a serial cable plugged-in and terminal program on, I should see the Mikrotik prompt ?

4. How do you connect a Cisco-like, pale blue ribbon, DB9/RJ45 to a laptop ? I suppose the DB9 must be plugged into the Mikrotik serial port.
Do I need something like [2]

5. Which hardware/software do you take along with you, in your bag to be 100% sure to connect to any or most network devices, in case of forgotten IP or broken config ?

Best regards

[1] https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ ... al+Console
[2] https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Cisco-Consol ... _sb_noss_2

Best regards