Community discussions

MikroTik App

q240z
just joined
Topic Author

Amazon Prime only blocks NordVPN on MikroTik routerboard

Wed Dec 29, 2021 5:37 pm

Hi.
I'm running the NordVPN app on PCs (Win 10 & 7), an iPhone, iPad, and an Android phone. All of them can access Amazon Prime videos in Japan. But when I set up NordVPN on my MikroTik Routerboard, turn off the NordVPN app on those devices, and connect them to the MikroTik router, none of them can access Prime videos in Japan. They all get an error message telling me a VPN was detected and the content is blocked.

The RouterOS is 6.49.2.

To ensure identical conditions, I connected my iPhone to my non-VPN wi-fi, turned on the VPN app on my iPhone, and connected to the NordVPN server recommended by the app (NordVPN Japan #591). I was able view Amazon Prime Japan videos on the iPhone. Then I changed the server in MikroTik IPsec NordVPN peer to #591. Active Peer shows an active connection to NordVPN Japan #591. I switched the NordVPN app off on my iPhone and changed over to the MikroTik wi-fi. Whatismyip says my iPhone IP is in Tokyo, Japan, so the VPN appears to be working. But when I try to view Amazon Prime Japan videos, I get the same error message telling me I'm using a VPN and the content is blocked. This only happens when I use NordVPN on MikroTik router.

Thoughts?
Thanks

gartox
just joined

Re: Amazon Prime only blocks NordVPN on MikroTik routerboard

Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:24 pm

Hi,

It seems I have the same issue.
NordVPN tunnel (ikev2/IPCSEC) configured on my RB4011, I tunnel all traffic from my LAN through the tunnel and when my ATV box want access contect geo restricted content Prime is detecting it.

I though a DNS related issue, so I changed DNS on my ATV Box, Cloudfire ones, so even DNS traffic is going through the tunnel. But same issue.

When I install NordVPN app on the ATV Box and connect to whatever server proposed, it works !

It seems the application is doing something more to help with geo-restricted content, but for now I can't understand what...

Hope this helps (or not... sorry), but I would be very happy to have some feedback from others, if they can make it work using router tunnel instead of app.

Best regards

saphir
just joined

Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:58 am

I would love to know the reason too, having the same with ProtonVPN.

arnaldo

Mon Feb 28, 2022 5:10 pm

My understanding is that they (Amazon, HBO Max, Netflix, Paramount+, etc) perform IP blacklisting. To counteract, the VPN providers keep changing their IP ranges. It's a never ending cat-and-mouse game. A few years ago most VPN providers would advertise that their service were "great" to bypass geo-fencing. These days they don't. It may work, it may not. It may work for one service, while it will not work for another.

The only solution I know it to change the destination server of the same VPN provider in the destination country, or change the VPN provider. It's a mater of luck.

q240z
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Mar 01, 2022 3:29 pm

arnaldo, that explanation doesn't account for the situation I described. It works fine on my phones and other devices, but not on the same devices when I set the Mikrotik router as the VPN-connected device.

nin

Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:34 pm

I experienced the exact same problem for the use with amazon.co.jp. Wile the apps ALWAYS work, the setup in RouterOS NEVER works.

eworm
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:49 pm

Possibly related to TTL in packets? You could try to reset the TTL in firewall's mangle table.