Community discussions

MikroTik App

Gombeen666
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fault finding OSPF adjacency uptime

Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:56 pm

We have a few OSPF Point to Point interfaces that have reduced uptime in comparison to other interfaces,I have double checked the setting for any omissions and cannot find any !
These OSPF interfaces span over wireless and the wireless registration does not have any interruptions on uptime!
How do I fault find OSPF ?

Gombeen666
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: Fault finding OSPF adjacency uptime

Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:42 pm

I don't understand why OSPF loses adjacency and establishes on PTP link's but wireless registration has not disconnected and reconnected ! Is OSPF simply not good enough for wireless ?

Gombeen666
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Dec 27, 2021 3:40 pm

At present on our small network all OSPF area is area=backbone , So I am wondering if the sections with lower adjacency uptime are effecting overall OSPF performance, should these sections be setup as different area's and would this reduce the effect of their recalculations on area backbone?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mixig

Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:40 pm

ROS version?

Gombeen666
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:14 pm

Vast majority ROS V6.49.1 plus a few V6.48

Gombeen666
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:11 pm

Here is the OSPF errors we are getting from OSPF neighbours that have reduced uptime, strangely as mentioned earlier there has not been any wireless registration interruptions ?

Database Description packet has init bit set in middle of an exchange

Ignoring Link State Acknowledgment packet: wrong peer state

new master flag=false

neighbor 10.XXX.XXX.100: state change from Full to Down

mikeeg02
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Jan 01, 2022 5:47 pm

There are many things you have to be considerate of when running networking over wireless links. Bandwidth considerations and qos methods may need to be implemented to keep ospf adjacencies and determine which traffic is given the best effort. While wireless registration may not have dropped, have you looked at wireless CCQ (if mikrotik wireless) or wireless link rates? If there are other wireless signals interfering with your path, or you are exceeding the bandwidth of the wireless path, your ospf adjacencies will drop, but the wireless may still show a valid registration. During poor ccq, your wireless datarate may drop to 1mb/s until it renegotiates faster.

Gombeen666
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:27 pm

@mikeeg02 Many thanks for your post!

We had no option to retain customers is to switch to L2 bridged VLAN's for our PPPoE !
So far I don't understand why ONLY OSPF adjacencies is effected, thankfully PPPoE and wireless registration are not effected by any fluctuations in CCQ, signal levels or if present - Signal interference!

You mentioned QOS maybe needed to help OSPF adjacencies but so far I haven't come across any examples of this,
I have attached two screenshots of noise floor levels for today, but there must be a better way to fault find this type of issue or is it just OSPF is simply not resilient enough for wireless networks?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.