Community discussions

MikroTik App

janezfx
just joined
Topic Author

WiFi config

Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:11 am

Hi!

I bought RB2011UiAS-2HnD-IN and cAP. In specs it says that max data rate is 300Mbit/s. In practice i got max 50Mbit on wifi. I configured CAPSMAN, basic setup 2ghz b/g/n, 40Mhz control channel. How to get better performance?

Other question is about capsman. Roaming is not working. I think because router and cap are quite close together. Can i adjust parameters when client need to move to other AP?

Rugx
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: WiFi config

Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:32 am

Check if both wireless chains are set/enabled. Regarding the other question - you can adjust access-list to drop clients once certain signal strength is met
https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/pages/vi ... AccessList

janezfx
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:54 am

Chains are set.

erlinden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:14 pm

If there are no other wireless networks (on this 2,4GHz band) around, you can select 40MHz bandwidth. Otherwise this is always a terrible choice.
Next tot that, do your clients require 802.11b? If not, select 2ghz g/n.

What are you expecting (and you know the difference between data rates and throughput tests)?

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:20 pm

If you are using cAP as in RBcAP2nD, you can NEVER go over 100Mb when using it wired towards RB2011. There is only an Ethernet connection of 100Mb. You can physically not go beyond that (70-80Mbs max, I'd say). That 300Mb must be between Wifi devices connected directly to that AP and in ideal lab circumstances.

Other things to check (MUM presentation as guideline: https://mum.mikrotik.com/presentations/ ... 286214.pdf)
- use local forwarding for CAPSMAN. Otherwise traffic first needs to be encrypted on cAP, send over the connection to capsman/RB2011 and decrypted again, all without HW offload. That takes time and thus bandwidth away
- disable B if possible. G/N or N only.
- adjust basic rates. 6 or 9 Mbps to start, maybe even 12Mbps or 24Mbps if your client devices accept it.
- check the used channels where the devices are located. Typically 1/6/11 are the best to use to avoid overlap but maybe others are already in that range ?

Lastly,
when you only have RB2011 and cAP, it might be worthwhile NOT to use CAPSMAN and setup the devices separately (which gives you more flexibility to set the best channels to use for each AP).

janezfx
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Jan 04, 2022 1:38 pm

Ok. So no capsman. How to proper set id separately. Set same ssid with same pass on cap? And on different channel?

Good point for cap for 300mb. is it possible to connect it over wifi to get more than 100mb?

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jan 04, 2022 1:52 pm

1- yes
2- depends.
Possible ? Yes.
Advisable ? Not really.
My arguments:
- You will interfere with the wireless link between those devices and the wireless SSID needed for the clients. Virtual wlan has to use same radio parameters so you're using the same frequencies.
- Wired is by far more stable then wireless.
- Depending on your isp link, you might not gain that much. Maybe that becomes your next bottleneck ?

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:40 pm

WHY?
MT wifi (their version of wifi 5 ) sucks. ( straight rb2011 would have been wiser, or at least get something made this century that unit is OLD, like the rb5009 or older rb4011)
No one here would recommend it! I would like to educate the folks that conned you into that purchase.
As for the capac, you threw away your money as the TPLink EAP245 costs about the same and is a vlan aware stable and higher throughput wifi 5 device.
(as why anyone would buy wifi 5 now, with a plethora of wifi 6 models available is beyond me but if cost was the factor, the capac was the wrong choice).

As for the speeds of wifi 5, you will get 1/3 of advertised speeds, to for 2.4ghz expect 300=100 in reality and 5ghz 867=290 in reality
But dont expect to get that on a capac, and especially through walls (5ghz).
You will note that MT no longer even has the capac on their website as they know it was complete garbage and replaced it with the capacXL, which still falls short of a tplink eap245 but is at least closer in speed and probably stability.