Community discussions

MikroTik App

ddornan
just joined
Topic Author

Is RoMON Broken in 7.1.1

Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:43 am

Hi,

I have upgraded an RB4011, RB450G & RB750Gr3 to stable release RoS 7.1.1 and RoMON has stopped working.
I can see all my 6.x devices using RoMON but nothing on 7.1.1

Is this yet to be implemented?

accarda
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Is RoMON Broken in 7.1.1

Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:05 am

I have a similar issue after moving to v7.1.1, but not on all my devices.
What I have noticed is that I still see on RoMON devices with v7.1.1 where I haven't defined VLAN in the switch chip setup, but instead I used VLAN aware bridge (or I don't have VLAN being defined).
Something is not working as before with v6.x

rumahnetmks
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:55 pm

Hi,

I have upgraded an RB4011, RB450G & RB750Gr3 to stable release RoS 7.1.1 and RoMON has stopped working.
I can see all my 6.x devices using RoMON but nothing on 7.1.1

Is this yet to be implemented?
I have RB4011 as Ppoe server and Hap AC3 as PPPoe Client.
I can confirm they both can use ROMoN, in v6.49.2 and v7.1.1

Both devices first at v6.49.2.
I upgrade hAPAc3 first to 7.1.1 by using WinBox with Romon, after complete upgrade I can connect to it (hapAC3) with Romon even RB4011 still at 6.49.2
Then I upgrade RB4011 to 7.1.1 and when complete, I still can access hAPAC3 using Winbox via Romon.
So I think it's not broken.

accarda
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:16 pm

In my case with a total of 13 devices, after that they have been all migrated to v7.1.1, only 4 are still reachable through RoMON, the other 9 are no longer seen.
Switching back to v6.x and all 13 returned visible and accessible through RoMON.
So something is not right and it depends, but I don't know by what.

ddornan
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:21 am

Like Accarda mentioned previously I also have a number of VLAN's configured under Bridge >> VLAN settings with VLAN Filtering enabled.
I have 10 VLAN's in use and any RoS7.11 device with the same VLAN Bridge setup is not seen.

My older 6.4x devices are all still seen OK so it does look like something is a miss with the VLAN and RoMON settings

ddornan
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:25 am

After further testing I have noticed that any device with VLAN Filtering set on the Bridge Interface is not seen with RoS 7.11
If I load Bridges for each VLAN network and assign VLAN Interfaces to the physical Ethernet ports that uplink to other devices RoMON still works so the issue looks to be RoMON not working when using VLAN Filtering under the Bridge menu.

accarda
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:26 pm

Actually I went through my setup and then I was able to make RoMON see now all my devices as used to be before with ros 6.xx.
My issue was with devices where I do have VLAN being set, but in my case using the switch chip setup (in my case I'm running this on hAP ac2, hAP ac3 for example).
In order to avoid the bridge hardware-offload to become not available when activating bridge vlan-filtering, I have enabled my VLANs using the switch chip setup.
So all my ports are within the bridge, but VLANs are managed through switch chip setup.
My management VLAN was an interface being referring to the bridge interface.
And for RoMON I had used the MAC-addr of such bridge (equal to the VLAN interface). With this setup, such device was not seen in RoMON.
So I decided to move the vlan interface and referred to my ethernet port which was defined as trunk in the switch config.
Then after setting such MAC in RoMON, the device became again available through RoMON.
So this is based on my setup and situation; your case might be different, but there is definitively something different on how this was working under ros v6.xx and now under ros v7.1.1
On a different device CRS328, used as a switch with VLAN being set under bridge with full support to hardware-offload while using VLAN-filtering (like in your case), VLAN management interface was defined and referred to bridge. In such case, by setting bridge's MAC in RoMON, the device is seen properly.