Community discussions

MikroTik App

janux
Topic Author

CAPsMAN and RouterOS versions

Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:04 am

Hi!

Couldn't find such information in forum or any manual.
Is there a requirement that capsman and caps to must have same routeros versions?
I would like to upgrade to newer router, but it comes with 7.0 version, I currently have on all caps 6.49.2, and checking posts about 7.* problems not sure that I want to upgrade now to 7.
Or am I exaggerating?

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: CAPsMAN and RouterOS versions

Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:55 pm

It will work.
I've done both situations in a lab setup (CAPSMAN on ROS7 and AP on ROS6 and the other way around).
I also have setup 930km away with SXT LTE on ROS7 (for Wireguard capabilities, VPN to home) working as CAPSMAN and 2 CAPs devices still on ROS6 (next time I'm there I'll most likely upgrade them as well to ROS7, don't want to do that remote without being sure I can intervene if something goes wrong. It's really too far to hop into the car :lol: ).

I think you might have to be careful with the setting about upgrading to capsman version (upgrade policy).
I leave it as "none", I decide myself when I upgrade.

janux
Topic Author

Re: CAPsMAN and RouterOS versions

Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:57 pm

Thank You very much.
So I can safely upgrade to better hardware now.

It will work.
I've done both situations in a lab setup (CAPSMAN on ROS7 and AP on ROS6 and the other way around).
I also have setup 930km away with SXT LTE on ROS7 (for Wireguard capabilities, VPN to home) working as CAPSMAN and 2 CAPs devices still on ROS6 (next time I'm there I'll most likely upgrade them as well to ROS7, don't want to do that remote without being sure I can intervene if something goes wrong. It's really too far to hop into the car :lol: ).

I think you might have to be careful with the setting about upgrading to capsman version (upgrade policy).
I leave it as "none", I decide myself when I upgrade.