Community discussions

MikroTik App

craigreilly
Topic Author

"Zoom" best practices

Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:26 pm

Anyone have a script or console commands that you have used to ensure Zoom is working as best as possible in your network?
We are hosting/moderating up to 15 meetings at a time for our customers, with all content coming from laptops here - and want to ensure our Mangle rules and others are set properly.

rilliam

Re: "Zoom" best practices

Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:08 am

I am curious how this went for you. I have been bombarded with zoom problems and they always seem to be mikrotik customers. I have tried disabling sip alg and udplite but it still seems like I get a lot of complaints from my customers at sites where I am running mikrotik routers and waps.

Today I found that zoom won't even connect it just hangs at the negotiating phase, where it displays "connecting". Both tested on a customers iphone and a laptop - and then the customer tried again at home and it worked fine. I worked with this customer through remote desktop verifying this. So something seems to be wrong with mikrotik and zoom but I havn't had a lot of time to spend on it.

craigreilly
Topic Author

Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:17 am

It's been solid. All I did was prioritize all of the Zoom IP's using an Address List.

elico
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:36 pm

I am curious how this went for you. I have been bombarded with zoom problems and they always seem to be mikrotik customers. I have tried disabling sip alg and udplite but it still seems like I get a lot of complaints from my customers at sites where I am running mikrotik routers and waps.

Today I found that zoom won't even connect it just hangs at the negotiating phase, where it displays "connecting". Both tested on a customers iphone and a laptop - and then the customer tried again at home and it worked fine. I worked with this customer through remote desktop verifying this. So something seems to be wrong with mikrotik and zoom but I havn't had a lot of time to spend on it.
I really don't know but I am pretty sure zoom have enough infrastructure to overcome basic sip alg vendors compatibility issues.
I know that theoretically it's possible for a MikroTik setup to have such a scenario like you described but, it works for me.
It might be a site or a setup specific issue.
In any case of mangle rules first try to bypass them for the specific clients and destinations to make sure it's not a FW or routing rules issue.

sjwrick
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:11 am

It's been solid. All I did was prioritize all of the Zoom IP's using an Address List.
Where did you get the IPs? What are they?

alibloke
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:55 am

Probably from here:
https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201362683

RiFF

Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:57 am

I can use IP address list from txt file, they are on end of this article - https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articl ... EPMQJMKAM4
Like this example - https://assets.zoom.us/docs/ipranges/Zoom.txt

ivicask

Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:10 pm

I also have zoom issues with mikrotik, getting stuck on connecting etc, can't figure what to do

ZschimmerIT

Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:47 pm

Hi, I think I do have the same situation here.
All Zoom, lync, Skype etc apps making trouble.
There is always a text saying "bad internetconnection"...
We do have a 600MBit / 600MBit Line with traffic shaping on several networks to 25MBit each.
Also we have double- NAT because we are behind a Lancom Router with our RB3011...
Some people do have trouble to connect to external VPN Servers....
Tested over wifi and also with LAN connection. Both the same...
What can I do to debug?
I don't know where to start.
Airplay streaming from my phone to wifi speakers is working fine over the Mikrotik WAP_ac Antennas.
So I guess it's not the wifi...

Please help

Cheers

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:46 pm

We use many many different platforms in our house be it Zoom, skype, whatsapp, discord, MS teams, etc...... and dont have any issues.
I dont think MT needs any special setup for these standard communications platforms.

ryan00davis
just joined

Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:48 am

Did anybody come up with a solution to this?
I'm using RB5009UG in my home, and am having a terrible zoom experience. I was using an edgerouter before this with no issues. I'm on google fiber symmetric gigabit. In speed tests, I'm getting very close to symmetric gigabit with 4-6ms ping consistently, so I'm pretty sure it's not related to ISP issues.

I have no problems connecting to zoom, but it regularly drops and reports unstable connection.
I also need to connect from a local computer to an external globalprotect server, and that performance has also been really bad. I've tried zoom both on a machine connecting to that globalprotect server and on a machine with no VPN.

I did follow the instructions here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VNhGhrJm5k

After doing that, it wont detect zoom traffic through the VPN, which makes sense, but when off the VPN it does appear to be correctly adding IPs, but I still had some issues.

Right now my router is almost entirely default config. I have a couple of port forwards and that was it until adding the zoom address list and mangle rules.

I appear to have no other issues, performance on everything else has been outstanding (as you would expect for a router of this spec doing such simple routing).