Community discussions

MikroTik App

Alpha272
just joined
Topic Author

CHR/RouterOS Azure and Licensing

Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:20 am

Heya,

So.. I have a few VMs in Azure, and because of that I want a VPN into Azure to administer them without exposing SSH to the internet. For that I want to use a wireguard VPN, and since I do exactly that with my hEX S for my home network, I decided to use a RouterOS VM on Azure.

With that being said, there is no official RouterOS image for Azure available. So as far as I can see it, I have 2 options here: I either grab the RouterOS image and deploy that to Azure or I grab a CHR VHDX and use that one. After reading through the documentation, the main difference seems to be licensing. RouterOS has features limited on lower licensed and CHR always has all features but the Speed per interface is limited on lower licenses. Additionally you can move CHR licensed between VMs (if you need to redeploy). If you use RouterOS, you need to buy a new license for each redeploy. So with that, CHR seems to be a no brainer.

My 3 main questions are now:
1. Is everything I wrote so far correct?
2. Is there really no Azure image, or am I just totally blind?
3. How hard is it to move the CHR license? Does it need a support telephone call for each migration? And is there a limit to how often I can migrate a license (in total and/or in a specific timeframe)?

Hominidae

Re: CHR/RouterOS Azure and Licensing  [SOLVED]

Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:01 pm

for 1: YES
for 2: don't know
for 3: dead simple, licenses are "stored" and allocated to machines in the MT-cloud. You will need to get an account (its free) when purchasing the license and each CHR will "call home" with its ID. From there you can transfer these with 2 clicks between CHR instances.