Community discussions

MikroTik App

Furling
just joined
Topic Author

Windows 10 clients get dicsonnected randomly and can't connect back

Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:29 am

Hello everybody,

I have run into following problem. I have two laptops at home, that get randomly (in most cases at least once a day, but sometimes it's after 1-2 hours after connecting for the first time that day, sometimes it's after 7 hours,...) disconnected from WiFi on my hAP ac2 Mikrotik. One is HP (personal) and second is Lenovo (work). Other devices (phones and one more Dell laptop) don't have these problems.
Once they get disconnected, they have problems to connect back - Windows says "Can't connect to this network". Disabling and re-enabling WLAN on laptop won't help in most cases. Sometimes they get connected back for short period of time and get disconnected again, sometimes they won't connect back for 10 minutes, etc.
Usually if I wait roughly 30 minutes, they can connect back again normally.
In security profile I have Group Key Update set to 5 hours.
I'm runnin 7.1.1 RouterOS, but I had this problem even on 6.x.x for some time.

Any suggestions what could be wrong/how to solve this?

Thanks.

Hominidae

Re: Windows 10 clients get dicsonnected randomly and can't connect back

Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:10 pm

...is this on the 5GHz band? AFAIK, some PCs/laptops do have NICs that do not allow for certain/all frequencies/channels on that band (in your area of jurisdiction).
If your wlan interface is set to "auto" channel, this could easily happen.

Furling
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:10 pm

Thanks for the reply, @Hominidae
No, I'm using 2.4GHz only and have 5GHz disabled since mose of my devices don't support it. For 2.4Ghz I have auto frequency setup and channel width set to 20/40Mhz eC.
I have now changed it to static channel and will observe if it will change the behavior.

Furling
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:29 pm

Ok, issue is still there. Maybe a bit less often, but still present.
Any other ideas?

multiduplikator
just joined

Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:47 pm

Currently investigating maybe the same issue on a windows 10 client. Not sure where this comes from, it seems unpredictable.

First, I thought it was a script running in parallel, updating 35k entry address list. But cannot reproduce.
Second, I observed in the log that I had a rather large time adjustment from ntp. But seems not to be related to the disconnect.

Third, turning on caps logging, I see:
xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx@interface_name disconnected, received deauth: unspecified (1)
But client reconnects right after automatically. So that is not it.

I am using userman to do EAP-TLS (with client certificates) or EAP-PEAP (with username/password). In both cases, certificates are involved.
So far I checked all the certificates, and they seem to conform to all the requirements that I could find (after all, this is a sporadic issue).
However, I have the feeling that with client certificates, when the issue occurs, it is more severe, because I have to switch no another network and back again to reconnect.

Long story short, yes, I have the same issue with a client here, but I have no idea where it is comming from.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:49 am

I have 2 old cameras that would disconnect like you described. Work for a while. Then disconnect and never get back on.

I changed the group key update to 10 mins.
Cameras have not hickuped in weeks.