Community discussions

MikroTik App

ofirule
Topic Author

Configuring routeros device OmniTIK G-5HacD to serve as dynamic wifi extender from both eth or wifi

Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:41 pm

I am trying to config OmniTIK G-5HacD to serve as a dynamic wifi extender which can bridge (not sure if this is the right term) to another router from both ethernet or wifi.

I have 2 types of physical setups which I would like to support with the same configuration for the OmniTIK G-5HacD.
In both scenarios I have another RouterOS device which serve as a wifi access point with ssid=test-1
My goal is that my OmniTIK device will serve as an extender with ssid=test-2. But it should support 2 scenarios:
1. It is conected to the first router via wifi
2. It is conected to the first router via ethernet (in this scenario the OmniTIK can't see the first router ssid)

I was able to create a configuration for scenario 1, where my master wifi interface wlan1 is in `mode=station-bridge` and I have another virtual wifi interface wlan2 in `mode=ap-bridge`
I was also able to create a configuration for scenario 2, where my master wifi interface wlan1 is in `mode=ap-bridge` and wlan1 is also part of a bridge interface with all the other ethernet interfaces.

I wasn't able to create a single config where I can install in both setups, and it will bridge (again not sure that this is the right term) to the first router.

How can I achieve this kind of config?
Is this type of config even possible in RouterOS?

Any help would be appreciated.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Configuring routeros device OmniTIK G-5HacD to serve as dynamic wifi extender from both eth or wifi

Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:51 pm

The prolem with "either ... or .." is in how wireless hardware operates.

Virtual wireless interfaces share physical parameters (frequency, channel width, ...) with their master interface. In scenario #1 above this means that physical wireless interface has to be the one operating as station(-bridge) because only this way it can follow wireless properties of AP (slave interfaces can't do that as already mentioned).

But: what does happen in this scenario if physical wireless interface doesn't connect to AP? This seems to be scenario #2 above ... Physical interface scans for a known SSID changing frequencies all the time. And it takes slave interfaces with it which means slave interfaces (configured as APs) can't work as intended.

So it means that it is not possible to have both scenarios #1 and #2 with exactly same configuration. It is only possible if you can dedicate one radio for bridge with AP (if it's found) and use another radio to act as AP ... e.g. use 2.4GHz radio in station-bridge mode and 5GHz radio in ap mode.